Pencil ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I favour a Staedtler clutch pencil as the thicker lead is more durable

mars-780.jpg

Ed

I use the ones that take 0.5mm or 0.7mm leads because the thickness of the line is constant. Use good quality leads (such as Faber Castell) and they don't break. I always use soft leads (B or 2B) as the lines show up better and you don't have to press too hard and dent the wood.

However, for general marking, such as face side and edge marks or arrows to show grain direction I use a clutch pencil with very thick leads and very soft, like 4B and 6B.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

An old clutch pencil for me.

HB lead, and the sharpener built in to the button on the blunt-end!

A sharp lead can be pushed out about 25 mm and it's great for getting between dovetail pins, when transferring layout to the tail-piece; and vice versa of course if you cut tails first! :D

John

One of Matthew's bendy pencils for me on rougher stuff...plus a 4H needle pointed pencil for stuff that needs to be a bit more accurate - Rob

For woodworking, I use ordinary pencils HB etc. These days I get my sons cast off's when they get down to 2 inches long he gives them to me. They fit nicely behind my ear and it is no great loss when they fall on the floor or get accidently crushed. For accurate marking I use a knife. For drawing I use a Faber Castell clutch pencil

PAC1":201lx9v7 said:
For woodworking, I use ordinary pencils HB etc. These days I get my sons cast off's when they get down to 2 inches long he gives them to me. They fit nicely behind my ear and it is no great loss when they fall on the floor or get accidently crushed. For accurate marking I use a knife. For drawing I use a Faber Castell clutch pencil

Drawing? What's that! [-o< :lol:

John

BradNaylor":2433q0hs said:
pipper me!

I just buy packs of pencils from Asda. 20 pencils for 17p.

Why would anyone want to buy a fancy propelling pencil for woodwork?

You're all mad!

Yep me too , i wouldnt dream of using some fancy expensive pencil , its only for drawing a line or making a mark :roll:

woodbloke":3k272ns3 said:
One of Matthew's bendy pencils for me on rougher stuff...

Ah, yes, I also bought one of those "Chattahoochee" pencils for rough work. Their 'flexibility' means you're less likely to accidentally snap one in half and the 'lead' seems far more robust than your average carpenter's pencil, also.

Otherwise, like Brad and a few others, I buy packs of ordinary 2H or HB pencils for fine work... :roll: :D

Benchwayze

Drawing. It is a historical system used up until the end of the 20th Century to design things. Believe it or not people actually used to place a piece of paper on a large flat board called a drawing board and then draw on that paper using a T square, set square, scale rules and a box of instruments such as compass and dividers.

I keep trying with CAD but have not got the time to invest to master it so get frustrated and turn to my drawing board. I Keep saying I will learn but who knows when. Once I have drawn said design I remove it from the drawing board and scan it to pdf.

You can all laugh (very loudly) if you want. If you laugh loud enough it may encourage me to learn to use the Google sketch up that has sat on my desktop for nearly 2 years.

BradNaylor":zr7hlxoh said:
pipper me!

I just buy packs of pencils from Asda. 20 pencils for 17p.

Why would anyone want to buy a fancy propelling pencil for woodwork?

You're all mad!

You have done me again Brad, I thought mine were a bargain 100 for 93p from tescos.

For me its a no brainer.

Cheapo pencils! No, no, no, has anyone successfully sharpened one of those bad boys? Me niether.

A decent qaulity 2H pencil is what you need, sits nicely behind the ear.

SBJ":tpzrdpp9 said:
Cheapo pencils! No, no, no, has anyone successfully sharpened one of those bad boys? Me niether.

A decent qaulity 2H pencil is what you need, sits nicely behind the ear.

With a pencil sharpener, no, with a edge sander yes, every time, you have odd ears if they can only accommodate a certain lead type.
Experience moulds you're ears to hold any type of pencil, pen etc. :D

Back