Moulding Profiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

In the past I enjoyed some YouTube videos by a chap called Jed Dixon, who explains profiles of stair balusters, what’s right and what’s wrong, and then goes on to demonstrate how he turns the most beautiful balusters. Shame he didn’t do more instructional videos.

Baluster design

But the thrust of what he’s saying is that there are different styles of profile defined by their proportions - Greek, Roman, Gothic etc and of course Ugly. And for the most part, mouldings in common use today fall into the ugly to very ugly category.

Does anyone know of a good vintage pdf book (similar to Ellis etc) which explains this subject properly?

Thanks

No, but George R. Walker has done a couple of videos about proportion and setting out classical mouldings on the Lie-Nielsen website.

Most of the molding books I have found are about masonry, but the same principals apply.

There are a few drawings and details in the George Ellis book "Modern Practical Stairbuilding and Handrailing"

No, but George R. Walker has done a couple of videos about proportion and setting out classical mouldings on the Lie-Nielsen website.

Most of the molding books I have found are about masonry, but the same principals apply.
Was just going to mention that "By hand and eye" has some very good information as to understanding this subject.
Then noticed George.R.Walker is the co-author.
https://lostartpress.com/products/by-hand-eye-1Cheers, Andy

Some interesting examples in a chapter in this publication which looks stylistically awfully close to another reference I have for masonry details that might be what Adam is referring to.
Cheers, Andy

IMG_20230919_101400.jpg

IMG_20230919_101334.jpg

IMG_20230919_101352.jpg
IMG_20230919_101341.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of the very old carpentry and joinery books will cover this and one that comes to mind is Lister Sutcliffe’s “The Modern Carpenter and Joiner and Cabinetmaker” which has a very comprehensive section in the first volume on the origins of mouldings and their design, Roman order, Doric order, etc... Though you will likely find more information in practical geometry books such as “Practical Geometry for Carpenters, Joiners, and Wood Machinists” by A.B. Emery.

Some interesting examples in a chapter in this publication which looks stylistically awfully close to another reference I have for masonry details that might be what Adam is referring to.
Cheers, Andy

View attachment 166570
View attachment 166571
View attachment 166574View attachment 166572
I have something similar by Small and Woodbridge;

Small, T. and Woodbridge, C. (1979) Mouldings of the Wren and Georgian periods: A portfolio of full sized sections . M.A., U.S.A: The Mechanick’s Workbench.

But mostly I'm looking at Early English Gothic, Decorated and Perpendicular periods so 12th - early 16th century and where things get wacky with nomenclature, forms and principals that don't necessarily corespond to the classical style.

Willis, R. ( 1844 ). The architectural nomenclature of the middle ages. [Online]. Pt.7, vol.1 Quarto publications of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society. Available at: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw1w_oD70ivwcXdS14eUylXr&opi=89978449

Paley, F.A. (1902). A manual of gothic moldings. 6th Edition. London: Gurney and Jackson.

Forrester, H. (1972). Medieval gothic mouldings. Chichester, Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd.

Purchase,W.R. (1900). Practical Masonry. London: Crosby Lockwood and son.

There was a book solely about turned mouldings. Can't remember the name unfortuneatly. I wouldn't get to obsessed about classical shapes they were usually not at all strict post Georgian. They can even look predictable tbh. But also there's some original 1930s sash windows in leek where they've messed with the proportions that look extremely odd!(there long and narrow)

There was a book solely about turned mouldings. Can't remember the name unfortuneatly. I wouldn't get to obsessed about classical shapes they were usually not at all strict post Georgian. They can even look predictable tbh. But also there's some original 1930s sash windows in leek where they've messed with the proportions that look extremely odd!(there long and narrow

Back