Pencil, Pen or knife? What do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
What does the list use for marking out? Ordinary HB Pencils, Automatic pencils? If so what size etc. The thought occurred to me whilst doing some dovetails the other day. I was using a 0.5 Automatic Pencil and the line ended up looking quite wide. It would allow for quite a loose fitting dovetail if you were not Careful.

Also, do you mark with a pencil then use a marking knife or scribe or anything else as well. You're wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lee. :D

all 3 depending on the type of cut... quick n dirty = pencil if I'm roughcutting to ballpark size, knife when it's to final size, indelible pen if there's a risk of the pencil mark rubbing off....

Lee,

For general stuff I just use a pencil. I put 2 in the pocket of my pinny and I have a large box on a handy shelf that I keep at least 6 sharpened pencils in with another 12 or more for sharpening. You never know when the space time continuum is going to open and eat your current pencil. 8-[

For critical stuff I use a knife, but I often run a pencil over the cut so I can see it better, just wait , you will hopefully get old in time. 8)

Pretty much my use is as Mike's, with the exception of the indelible pen.

I also use lumber crayons for initial cross cutting on rough sawn stock quite often.

I use H pencils from LV for most everything. Take a very good point. I only use a knife when I need to register a chisel or prevent tearout.

Take care, Mike

I use two things for marking out.

If I need to cut, plane or chisel to the line, then I use a japanese marking knife from Axminster that cost about £6. One can set the chisel blade in the knife line and cut very accurately or plane until the polished edge of the knife mark is visible

For marking dovetails I use a craft knife with a pointed scalpel blade.

For all other marking I use a 0.3mm 2B (soft) propelling pencil which actually givesa line of similar width to the knife

Like DaveL and Tony, I use a knife and go over with a pencil but a H not a HB (too soft), I can often be seen with a 0.3 propelling pencil, but the darn space time continuum keeps eating them, so I sharpen a normal H pencil to a chisel point and use that, sharpening frequently.

Bean

Hi all

I'm mostly a pencil man myself. Like Dave, I keep a supply of them about my person, sharpened with a chisel to a long point. My eyesight is not as good as it was. Either that or my arms are too short.

But did you see that Japanese demonstrator at the last Axminster show? He used a piece of wood sharpened to a chisel point and dipped in ink! And his ink dish had a built in wheel and string line so that he could snap a line of ink, just like we snap a chalk line. He did it perfectly every time - I hate to think of the mess I would have made! The tenons that he cut were pretty good too. I guess it's what you're used to.

Regards.

Chalk or 2B (might be 4B - soft, anyway) pencil for rough cutting, marking what piece goes where etc. Propelling HB 0.5 for marking measurements and dovetail tail slopes etc (use a knife to mark the other half of the joint and the thickness of the pencil line is a non-issue). CK Lambs Foot knife (may have found my marking knife of choice at last!) for marking lines to cut/chisel/plane to.

Cheers, Alf

Pencil for me and wheeled marking guage.

Did I read somewhere that as long as you know which side of the line you are cutting to then the thickness of the line is irrelevant?
Or am I just making this up to make me feel better?

Andy

Your not making it up , i use a HB pencil and cut to the side of the line . I used to use 2H but the £1 shop only sells HB now .

Alf":11t80ufp said:
Chalk or 2B (might be 4B - soft, anyway) pencil for rough cutting, marking what piece goes where etc. Propelling HB 0.5 for marking measurements and dovetail tail slopes etc (use a knife to mark the other half of the joint and the thickness of the pencil line is a non-issue). CK Lambs Foot knife (may have found my marking knife of choice at last!) for marking lines to cut/chisel/plane to.

Cheers, Alf

ALF I'm interested in you're marking knife. Could you tell us a little bit more, or post a piccie.

Thanks
Lee.

syntec4":2hhbzxxd said:
ALF I'm interested in you're marking knife. Could you tell us a little bit more, or post a piccie.
Don't get excited; it suits me but it doesn't mean it'll suit anyone else. I just like the shape of the tip, pressure seems to naturally go to the point where I want it. In other knives I've tried I haven't found that to be the case. For preference I'd sooner have a single-sided bevel and a nice, exotic wood handle mind you... Found this pic on file, fwiw:

markingtools.JPG

Sharpens pencils well too. :D

Cheers, Alf

I use a 0.5 or 0.75 automatic pencil HB lead and as suggested in an earlier reply cut to the side marked out. :) :)

I find it gives a consistent width line and no sharpening required. :wink:

Les

Cheers everybody. Some food for thought :D

Alf - I like the look of that little square too. Care to tell me who by and where from? :)

Thanks
Lee.

dedee":7zg3su55 said:
Did I read somewhere that as long as you know which side of the line you are cutting to then the thickness of the line is irrelevant?
Or am I just making this up to make me feel better?

Andy

Dedee,

That's how my woodwork teacher taught us to do it back in the 1950's. I can almost hear him now "Remember to cut on the right side of the line".

Mind you, that might have been because he was fed up with sharpening pencils :roll:

As for me I tend to use one of those automatic pencils with a soft 0.5 or 0.7 mm lead. If I use ordinary pencils I go through them in no time because they need sharpening so often in order to keep a sharp point on them.

Paul

Alf":1lc8vi0i said:
syntec4":1lc8vi0i said:
Alf - I like the look of that little square too. Care to tell me who by and where from? :)
Yep, 'tis this 'un with added "pimp my square" effect.

Cheers, Alf

:D :D :D Ha Ha, I just spat my coffee. 'Pimp my Square'. Very good.
Good review BTW. Thanks.

I've ordered one now :oops: I'm on the slope now and no mistake!

Lee.

Back