Why am I rubbish at measuring?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thetyreman - would you care to expand on that?
yes go to 9:45 on this video that should explain it better, even though he's explaining how to draw a guitar the same principles apply for furniture or anything you want to make, I use the same technique when 'marking in' from edges with the ruler and it works every time.

Last edited:
In my experience not all tapes/rulers are born equal. I have a number of different brands of steel rules and over 600mm they can be out by at least 1mm between brands. The point here is to use the same tape/rule (or brand) for the job at hand to ensure maximum accuracy

I can measure with absolute precision. Cutting is a different issue.

I deliberately cut a little bit oversize - I can trim whatever I have cut, but can't put it back.

Big mistake on my part - trimming 1 or 2mm is never as tidy as accuracy in the first place.

Here's one way...
A good sliding mitre saw, adjusted properly square, sharp blade.
Mark your line with a knife.
Position the stock by pulling down the stationary blade and positioning the knife line under the edge of the teeth. You can sight that to 0.2mm or better. Use a light if you can't see well.
Use the clamp on the mitre saw if it's an important cut, double checking stock position after the clamp is snug.
Make your cut.
A good fine tct blade will give you a planed surface that needs nothing done to it.
If you mark with a knife all around before cutting, you probably won't even get any feathering on the back edge of the cut.

Back