pencil box april 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little happier this afternoon, I got out the chisel and disguised this bad corner (bottom corner of box only)

15w-3.jpg

same corner after chisel work.

16w-4.jpg

Then I put it to the belt sander to disguise the faces, and cleaned it up- with a rotary sander.

I only hope my friend doesnt have any offspring with a try square checking corners.

big soft moose":ylxchr1g said:
Miles Hot and I had some nice fiddleback sycamore from someone on here ( well tbh Miles bought it , but i did the chainsaw work and he gave me a few bits to say ta)

but there was quite a lot of gash in the boards - i reckon we had about 40% wastage - but that is normal imo, certainly i dont blame the suplier.

that said we cut most of it up for turning blanks so we got more use than we would have done if we were using it for flat stuff.

I cant remember who the supplier was off hand but miles probably remembers
It was Martyn - seemed to have a lot of other stuff which could be sold; might be worth having a word...

The latest is that the box has stayed stable, it has been in a centrally heated room for around 48 hours and not playing up. Perhaps it was only timber stress. I will take it out to the workshop in a different atmosphere and see what happens in the next 24 hours.

One of the boards I had cut was also brought indoors to the central heating and the next day it looked like a propeller, 24 hours later the board had returned to a reasonably workable state just laid near a radiator.

The Australian forum that has a timber merchant amongst its members also came up with some good recommendations regarding this wayward plank. (remember I have always in the past had timber delivered and cut 12mm thick boards off a plank and made over 30 boxes with the last sycamore board without the slightest problem or wastage, so it can be done without some preparation if the timber supplied is good.)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/banan ... ost1136821

pipper me, I have just picked up that offcut board the one that went like a propeller, next day flattened out and OK, and now it has gone twisted again. Its alive. So I guess I wont be taking it out to the workshop afterall.

Tidied up this pencil box, I think it will now settle down, but I shall warn recipient if the joints open it will be because the timber is either not seasoned enough or there is some timber stress.

17w-4.jpg

I remember a gorgeous jewellery box in British Woodworking about a year ago, that was made using coopered doors of sycamore. The maker commented that he took off only 1mm each day when thicknessing and left it to settle for a day or two in between just to ensure that the wood behaved itself.

frugal":1dguo4b3 said:
I remember a gorgeous jewellery box in British Woodworking about a year ago, that was made using coopered doors of sycamore. The maker commented that he took off only 1mm each day when thicknessing and left it to settle for a day or two in between just to ensure that the wood behaved itself.

Agreed, but I also had an eight foot plank of sycamore 3" thick last year and you could saw and thickness all in one day and cut mitred joints and not have any problems or any appear since. This evening I notice a corner mitred joint is opening on this box.

Back