Pen time.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I was asked to make some pens for my brother friend after seeing the ones he's got.
So i made up this mixture of woods just using the slim line kits,mainly because that's all i have :roll:
From left to right are Apple,Yew,Beech,and Zebrano.
Not as good as our more experienced pen makers but i's happy with em :D
Oh by the way finished with Friction polish and Carnauba wax.

pens-1.jpg

Very nice Paul. When you've only got a tiny lathe, what else can you turn ?? :lol: :wink:

Thanks all :D

Wizer wrote
When you've only got a tiny lathe, what else can you turn ??
I know,i know :roll:
Since i've had this lathe that is all i seem to be turning.
The good news though,is that it is all wanted :D
In fact i have just had a request for some more Bangles :shock:
I will do some hollowing or summat bigger soon.In fact i can't wait meself. :roll:

they look just the ticket paul, a nice set of pens indeed. Although i love the yew, the apple looks rather good too.

Thanks Steve/Pete.
The Apple turned out very nice with some lovely colour in it.
They were just some off cuts i glued up ages ago just to try.
I thought they would have split by the time i got round to doing them,but they didn't :D

Very nice set of pens Paul, like all the wood, great grain, have you tried the BLO/CA finish, have a look on You Tube at Bill Youngs video.
Thomasb (John really). :D

The apples work for me too !

Maybe fathersday will be when i get a kit ? Must drop hints to the eldest !

wizer":3hzyn3el said:
Very nice Paul. When you've only got a tiny lathe, what else can you turn ?? :lol: :wink:

very small bowls and forms :D - somewhere arround ive got a 1.5" high hollow form that i did ages ago on a lathe attachment powered by a black and decker power drill.

they were for a freinds daughter to put in her doll house - but the one ive got was a spare

big soft moose":jtx0qxt0 said:
....very small bowls and forms :D

Yeh, I don't know why Paul doesn't get his act together and turn a few decent Goblets up.

inDSC01822.JPG

Second and final batch of pens.Final because of run out of kits :D
Woods used are again from left to right-
Zebrano,Beech ,and Apple,which looks even better today :D
Finish as yesterday.

pens2.jpg

Thomas.Thanks for the info,and i will take a look at the vids,but i am happy using the method i do at the moment,as i don't plan on doing loads of pens,though saying that i do seem to have made quite a few :?

Hi Paul, another nice set there really like the zebrano.

just out of interest, whats the diameter of the wooden tubes at the widest point please ?

Steve

Thanks Steve :D

Steve Jones wrote
just out of interest, whats the diameter of the wooden tubes at the widest point please ?
The widest point is 10mm Steve.This i have done just to give a little more feel to the pens which people seem to like.You can make them thicker or thinner so they are straight,slimline,which seem to suit people with smaller hands :D
These kits are the 7mm slimline Axminster ones.

Missed this post Paul, You've made some nice pens there.

The apple ones are lovely 8). I've never made a pen :oops: but the good looking simplicity of these makes me feel tempted......

JT

They all look good, my personal favs are the zebranos / tv show?
I got some tulip wood pen blanks today by accident. I have never done pens before but you lot are pulling me over to the ink side.
:shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back