Pen mandrel problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a mini lathe and use a universal pen mandrel, my problem is the mandrel keeps getting stuck in the lathe, I don't think it's my fault, I oil the mandrel so it shouldn't get stuck but after making a couple of pens I absolutely can't get the mandrel off the lathe. My husband had to wrench it out the last time and now the mandrel is bent.

I have to get a new mandrel but don't want to get the same type again. Im wondering if the delux pen mandrel from Axminster would be a good bet? I wonder is it universal and would it fit in a mini lathe. And I wish I knew why the mandrel keeps getting stuck! Does this happen to anyone else?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peggy

Presumably there is no means of inserting a metal rod to tap it out from 'behind'? My full size lath has that, which is the only way I can get it out. A long rod and a heavy whack with a hammer.

Given the mandrells are supported at other end, maybe you can put a thin strip of paper around the metal cone, that may avoid the adhesion. However, I've never tried it.

I tried inserting a metal rod and whacking it with a hammer but all that happened was the rod got jammed in the mandrel! The mandrel has a hole in it so you can adjust the length of the rod mandrel. So then I had two stuck rods either side of the lathe! It took ages to get them out again.

I wonder if the paper would work, I might try that thank you.

hi peggy
you need a spindle thread protector. Basically a big nut that fits on the threaded bit of the spindle before you put the mandrel in. then when you want to remove the mandrel (or any other MT fitting) you unscrew the protector that then pushes the mandrel out of the taper.

here is a random pic of one , something like you need but not identical...

nut1.jpg

Obviously it needs to be the correct thread and size for your lathe. Which lathe do you have? they are usually listed under lathe accessories, so see the manufactures web.

for example heres an axminster one http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod23520/

Hi Peggy

You need a centre ejector - it's like a collar that you fit to the spindle thread before you insert the centre, when you want to remove the centre you unscrew the ejector and it pushes out the centre. They are often described as thread protectors but check that it's actually an ejector before you buy.

This is a Record Power Centre Ejector:

Ejector.jpg

This is it installed with a mandrel:

Ejector Installed.jpg

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Ejector.jpg
    Ejector.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2,277
  • Ejector Installed.jpg
    Ejector Installed.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2,278
Peggy: you say you have a min lathe and mandrel.

Although the recommendations to get an ejector collar for the mandrel are probably the way to go can we establish exactly what you have.

Lathe Model.
Mandrel Model.

Is the assumption that the mandrel and lathe have a Morse taper fitting , No.1 or No.2 ? correct. (some mini lathes have proprietary spindle fittings)

Pictures will help if you don't have model nos.

thread protector gets in the way of my mandrel, rotor in a cl3.

Peggy - often there is a flat on the mandrel head/taper part that you can attach a spanner to, and a spanner in the head stock on the shaft, and move both in opposite directions,

is the lathe new ? - is the taper hole clean ? unworn ? you should have no problems,

Make sure you don't bring up the tail so tight when you turn, its only support, not a thrust bearing.

Spindle":3of1sbza said:
Hi Loz

My photo shows the Record Power ejector fitted to a CL3

Regards Mick

yep - a case were the combination works - ......

I said "thread protector gets in the way of my mandrel, rotor in a cl3. "

Thus use the thread protector is not the fit all answer.

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

The lathe is a Draper Mini Wood Lathe. I'll post the pen mandrel details later as life is getting in the way as usual. There isn't anything to attach a spanner to. Its clean and the attachment is tapered. The center ejector looks good, if I can find one to suit my lathe. There's no woodturning shops nearby so i'd have to order online.

Peggy

stevenw1963":ybnl6zfj said:
thread protector gets in the way of my mandrel, rotor in a cl3.

Mine is the same CL3 & rotor & I don't have any problem with it.

perhaps differing models rotor ?, and quite an old CL3,

i find i don't get seated correctly with the thread protector, and have some play.

Hi Peggy if this is your lathe you have a 3/4" x 16 tpi thread and a No1 Mt so if Rob can get hold of a 3/4" x 16 tpi nut you will be sorted Good luck and happy turning and I must say I am impressed with the photos of you pens you will soon be putting us all to shame LOL

Attachments

• PopupZoom.jpg
    PopupZoom.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 2,186
Yes Woody, that's my lathe. Thanks so much everyone, I will get that spindle thread, it will be such a relief not to have the pen mandrel getting stuck all the time.

Thank you Woody, I will post a few pen pictures here eventually! lol

Hi Peggy,
If you can't find a nut then you could make your own thread saver/ejector from either steel, aluminium, boxwood or nylon using a UNF tap....

http://www.tracytools.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_9&product_id=285

These are carbon steel and so come pretty cheap (a second tap will suffice if you keep it straight). Tracy Tools are good to deal with.
The tapping drill will be 11/16" (i.e. 3/4" - 1/16") - may be a good idea to buy one of these too unless you have one.

HTH
Jon

Thank you Jon, I need a cheaper option.

I was going to buy the nut on the link provided by Spindle, but then I noticed that postage for Ireland is £24.99!!! For one nut?!! How much does this nut weigh I wonder, it couldn't be much...not £25 worth surely!! I might get it posted to a relative in UK who can then forward it, I'm sure it wouldn't cost them £25.

Making one looks like a good idea too.

Peggy

HI Peggy,

just buy a 3/4" x 16 tpi nut as woodyturner said, from b and q or woodies or homebase, and get a washer welded to the front face large enough for your taper to pass into, ......

cheap as chips

Latest posts

Back