Pen turning Mandrel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have a dilemma about pen mandrels. I want to have a go at pen turning. I am totally new to turning and have acquired a second-hand lathe with 1mt head stock and 2mt tail stock. It's a first lathe so if/when I get into it I will probably get a better/new (2mt?) lathe. My question is should I buy a 1mt mandrel now which I can't use with a 2mt lathe or wait until I have a new lathe or buy some kind of converter?

Pardon my ignorance but is that to convert my existing 1MT to 2MT and therefore buy a 2MT mandrel or just get a 1MT mandrel now and get the new sleeve when I have a new 2MT lathe?

For what they cost get one now -it allows you to use a 1MT in a 2MT taper headstock but you can use 1MT stuff in your existing tailstock now if you find stuff at a good price. You can buy MT drill bits which save using a chuck, and the smaller ones are 1MT only.
https://www.ukdrills.com/morse-taper-shank
It's the other ways around Phil. 1MT headstock. 2MT tailstock.

Get a 2mt - 1mt sleeve when you need one. Available from most suppliers. Westcountry Machinery 4 Wood Search
I tried Westcountry and they send the wrong one so I called them to explain again and they tell me there is no such thing. I asked axminster who say the same but that I should ask Charmwood who also say the same thing. Its actually an expander rather than a reducer that's needed.

If your headstock is 1MT then get a 1MT mandrel. If at a later stage you get a lathe with a MT2 headstock then you can use the cheap MT2 to MT1 sleeve to adapt it.
If you decide to get a MT2 mandrel then you will need a MT1 to MT2 adaptor to drive it. This adaptor projects from the headstock rather than sitting within it.
E.G. (not a recommendation)
- Taper Drill Sleeve, MT1 to MT2 Morse Taper Drill Sleeve Lengthened Taper Reducing Adapter, for Lathe Milling : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Thanks Robbo

That is exactly what I need. I decided to NOT get the bits from several different places as I didn't really know what I needed. I consequently went straight to Axminster and told them my dilemma. They suggested their starter kit, assuring me the adaptor was readily available. I ordered the starter kit. Clearly it isn't READILY available but you found it (thank you). Axminster suggested I ask Charnwood. I did. Charnwood told me there is no such thing.

Yes, if you need to use a small taper drill it will be a 1MT so will need a sleeve to use in the tailstock (where it's usually used).
If you get a mandrell with a 1MT. you can use it in a 2MT headstock with a sleeve.
Hi Phil

I think it will be the 1MT mandrel just so I can get on and have a go. Next job, find some pen kits etc.

Thanks again

You don't say what length the bed of your lathe is. If it's a short bed you'll need MT drills (or an ER chuck and collets) as they take less room than a chuck + a bit.

Don't be tempted to try too many different pen kits, many require odd sized drill bits that you won't have..

You don't say what length the bed of your lathe is. If it's a short bed you'll need MT drills (or an ER chuck and collets) as they take less room than a chuck + a bit.

Don't be tempted to try too many different pen kits, many require odd sized drill bits that you won't have..
It has a turning capacity of a stated 457mm and a turning diameter of 305mm,

I looks like most pen kits use a 7mm drill bit. Any suggestions?

This thread seems to have gone very of topic. My advice would be to buy a pen mandrel kit that suits the lathe you have at the moment and see how you get on.
As for kits as a beginner like you I have purchased kits from CS Crafts and have been very pleased with them.

This thread seems to have gone very of topic. My advice would be to buy a pen mandrel kit that suits the lathe you have at the moment and see how you get on.
As for kits as a beginner like you I have purchased kits from CS Crafts and have been very pleased with them.
Thanks for that. I will be ordering a 1MT mandrel and stuff from CS Crafts and like you say "see how" I get on.

Back