Pen mandrel problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, I just read out your post to my husband, Rob who has volunteered to take on the task of removing the mandrel and he says he tried that the last time and it did work. But the next time I put the mandrel in was when I used to oil so I'd guess its going to be an even tougher job to remove it. Yes I'd better give it a good clean, I wish I'd known that oil would make the situation worse!

CHJ, Rob says he's going to try your idea next!

Thank you Paul, I'll try anything to stop this happening again.

Thank you all, your help is much appreciated.

Peggy

Has always been the problem with 1mt fittings that are bored through. Although it can also happen to 2mt, but not as easily as they have larger shoulders to butt the knock-out bar against.

My answer was to get a piece of mild steel bar that just fits into the back of the lathe spindle, but not into the MT fitting. I held the bar in my chuck, then used a scraper to turn down about 5mm of one end until it just fitted into the bored centre of the 1mt fitting. Taper the end slightly, then in future when knocking out put the bar in and the shoulder will pop the fitting out.

That sounds like a good idea too. Thank you.

We are going to remove the mandrel this afternoon....hopefully!

Peggy,

At the weekend i found a spare thread protector in my box of lathe spares, it from my old DML and will thus fit your lathe, I can post it to you - if you havn't bought one already

Regs
Loz

Oh, yes please Loz, that would be brilliant. I haven't bought one yet. I will pm you my address. Thank you!

Back