Pen Mandrel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymor

Reaction score
Bought this pen mandrel a few years ago, it allows me to turn one half of a pen blank at a time. My friend says that he would like one but I can't recall where I got it from. Does anyone know where he could purchase one?

Forgot to add the photo
pens.jpg

Bought this pen mandrel a few years ago, it allows me to turn one half of a pen blank at a time. My friend says that he would like one but I can't recall where I got it from. Does anyone know where he could purchase one?
Seems an odd way to turn a pen unless it's one where only one blank is used.

I think this method is pretty standard among pen turners, where both sections are turned simultaneously on one mandrel. EG:

Pen mandrels have a dimple at the tailstock end into which a live centre in the tailstock can be tightened to hold the blanks firm on the mandrel. However, that's a poor method of securing the blanks as it risks bending the mandrel. Far better to use what is often called a 'mandrel saver' or 'mandrel support'. The enables to blanks ti be properly tightened up without placing any strain on the mandrel.

EG:

Mandrel: No 2 Morse taper Pen Mandrel | Stiles & Bates

Mandrel saver/support: Pen Mandrel Support 2MT | Stiles & Bates

Just my thoughts.

(I remain nonplussed as to who would by a pen press rather than just use a vice to assemble a pen, but then I'm equally puzzled as to why woodturners buy turning tools with wooden handles (rather than unhandled), when a handle is about the simplest item a woodturner could ever make. A beech rolling pin for about £2.00 from the likes of Tesco makes an excellent blank).

The Axminster compression mandrel that I use(d) has a long rod down the middle and the tailstock end is through bored. Tailstock is brought up until the body is gripped between ends so it adapts to two part pens and to the stubby one piece designs without fuss. Nothing special needed, just bushes to suit each combination of (bore + OD).

Maybe somebody can educate me - I've got lots of nice wood offcuts, but what puts me off turning pens is that all the kits seem to be very thick. A bit thick for my big manly hands, and most certainly too thick for my wee kids.

Are there any slimline kits (or diy solutions) is existence?

Thank you.

I started with a pen mandrel however now only use TBC with bushes. Pen mandrels tend to flex if to much pressure is applied.

Maybe somebody can educate me - I've got lots of nice wood offcuts, but what puts me off turning pens is that all the kits seem to be very thick. A bit thick for my big manly hands, and most certainly too thick for my wee kids.

Are there any slimline kits (or diy solutions) is existence?

Thank you.
Slimline pen kits are probably the most common, cheapest and easiest to make.
However, a lot of pens that I see made with these kits are left a little too thick for my liking which leaves a deep waist in the middle where the ferrule sits.
I prefer mine slimmer.
The hole down the middle of the blank is 7mm diameter so around 9mm is the practical limit.
Picture below is one made from a cherry tree pruning that I need to refinish later (it cracked and is covered in Milliput at the moment). I’ll post some pictures when done.
IMG_6441.jpeg

After refinishing….
IMG_6442.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand exactly what you are saying. They call them slimline for that reason. I like u don't like fat waist ones. The one shown is a slimline twist which I no longer do but shows you what can be achieved. The cheap one's keep twisting back in. I prefer click pens like the one shown which has been popular for me.

Attachments

• Slimline and Oak and Crayons.jpg
    Slimline and Oak and Crayons.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201116_153735.jpg
    20201116_153735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

I think this method is pretty standard among pen turners, where both sections are turned simultaneously on one mandrel. EG:

Pen mandrels have a dimple at the tailstock end into which a live centre in the tailstock can be tightened to hold the blanks firm on the mandrel. However, that's a poor method of securing the blanks as it risks bending the mandrel. Far better to use what is often called a 'mandrel saver' or 'mandrel support'. The enables to blanks ti be properly tightened up without placing any strain on the mandrel.

EG:

Just my thoughts.

(I remain nonplussed as to who would by a pen press rather than just use a vice to assemble a pen, but then I'm equally puzzled as to why woodturners buy turning tools with wooden handles (rather than unhandled), when a handle is about the simplest item a woodturner could ever make. A beech rolling pin for about £2.00 from the likes of Tesco makes an excellent blank).

When I turned pens over 20 yrs ago the mandrel were much simpler from Craft Supplies and you turned the sections in 2 pieces. I used to match the grain when cutting in half, drill the centre hole and superglue the inserts. Then turned on the mandrel using a 1/2” skew chisel, before finishing and pressing the parts together using the tailstock.
Regards,
Dave

I started with a pen mandrel however now only use TBC with bushes. Pen mandrels tend to flex if too much pressure is applied.

It's not possible to flex the mandrel if a mandrel support/saver is used. There is no pressure on the mandrel -the pressure from the tailstock to the headstock is applied only to the blanks. It works a treat.

EG:

Just my thoughts.

Seems odd to me that someone seems it's odd that I choose to turn pens on the mandrel of my choice.
Mandrel.jpg

I started with a pen mandrel however now only use TBC with bushes. Pen mandrels tend to flex if to much pressure is applied.

I'm turning between centres. (y)
The Axminster compression mandrel that I use(d) has a long rod down the middle and the tailstock end is through bored. Tailstock is brought up until the body is gripped between ends so it adapts to two part pens and to the stubby one piece designs without fuss. Nothing special needed, just bushes to suit each combination of (bore + OD).
Got one (y)

Thanks everyone for taking part, was interesting. Incidentally I found a site where my mate can buy the one half of a pen blank.

Back