pen making video/podcast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your budget John, I'm sure some around here will be only too willing to grease the slope for you if there are enough noughts involved :lol: :lol:

Seriously, are you contemplating taking up turning to compliment your box making, if you are and you can give some indication of the size or level of the projects you envisage then I am sure someone can assist in the minimum kit requirements and pointers to possible kit.

Hi Chas,

I've been watching pen making videos and web pages for around a week so if a kit was offered with at least that starting point I would look at the deal with my usual past selling and buying experience.

Thanks for the link John...(currently downloading the other vids too.)

Good video, but what was he thinking when mounting & demounting stock in the drill press, with the motor still running? :shock:

Looking at the other video offers at the site. I downloaded and it was going to Temporary Folder.

I cant find my temporary folder (I wanted to view at a later time) I thought it was on my c drive or in windows. Can anyone please tell me where to find the file I downloaded?

Hi devonwoody, the files are probably under the 'windows' directory somewhere, but they could have been deleted depending how your browser and stuff is set up. For instance mine is set up to empty all Temp folders when it closes.

Better if you make a new folder within your 'Documents' folder and download all files into that. You should get the choice of where to download to when you initiate the download process. After you can move the file/s anywhere you want for storage and just leave the original directory for downloading.

not saying this is the correct way to do it, go to download the video again but don't (hope that makes sense) and the temp folder will pop up again and you will see the copy you made in there, I would then transfer from there to my documents, hope this helps

hi devonwoody, if you want to start making pens you will only need,
1 x 7mm mandrel ( to suit your morse taper )
pen kits,, slimline to start with, +bushings
1 x 7mm drill bit.
1 x barrell trimmer. ( to make sure your pen fittings are fitted properly )
super glue. ( to glue the tubes in the blank )
and a range of sand paper up to the finest grade. i use micro mesh 240 - 12000 grit. give turners retreat a call and dave will help you out. hope this helps, any probs give me a shout. regards colin.

devonwoody":oq1854ql said:
.....I cant find my temporary folder (I wanted to view at a later time) I thought it was on my c drive or in windows. Can anyone please tell me where to find the file I downloaded?

John if you can remember the name of the file or in worst case use extension. IE *.wmv

And do a global search of your drives you should get a list of all files ending in that extension.

From this list you should see where they are stored.

You may find that the files have been located in
>Documents and Settings >Your name >Local Settings > Temp
or a similar path.

Dependant on your file viewing settings explorer may not be displaying these folders.

devonwoody":26i0q6iy said:
Yes chas, the the problem its not showing the temp folder in johns settings at my documents.

Go via C:drive. >Documents and Settings >Your name >Local Settings > Temp

Not "My documents"

If you can't see "Local Settings" or it is greyed out you need to change the file viewing atributes in control panel.

Not saying this is definately your problem but one to check out.

A global search in explorer should find them anyway.

devonwoody":eep0yqnc said:
I think woodsmith have stuffed us on this one. Unless other members can save and view later?.

Easiest option is to load a copy of Firefox browser and use that for some things.

If you load the "Download Helper" extension to firefox it allows you to more easily download most video files to hard disk.

I have had that particular file on disc for some time now, no problems downloading it. (other than it's 247Mb)

Thanks chas, found the temp folder on C drive johns settings.
Quite a lot in there but cant see anything that remotely looks like the video.

So perhaps Firefox is the way to go.

Anymore advice on how to install appreciated etc.

Chas, I've been using Firefox for 2 plus years now and never found that problem having to shut down to download. You want to check your settings.

One thing it could be is if you try to download too many videos at one time, DownloadHelper will only work on the first 2 -3 and leave the rest pending. I think it may be set up for what ever bandwidth your on. It will get them all eventually you just have to wait.

Thanks Tam, will check settings.

FF Not my default browser, but do use it regularly, I'm on 2mb BB connection so downloads not normally a local problem. Could just be a resource clash with other stuff running on my machines or network.

Back