Pease assist with the identity and age of this machine.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel John

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a saw, spindle and horizontal boring machine for our working heritage museum.
pleasecsee cattached photos.
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6227.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6229.JPG
    IMG_6229.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6233.JPG
    IMG_6233.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Hmm... bit of a tricky one, Those that might be in the frame are : Robinson, Dominion or possibly Sagar. - as for age my guess would be 1920's / 1930's

This is a saw, spindle and horizontal boring machine for our working heritage museum.
pleasecsee cattached photos.View attachment 162161View attachment 162162
I believe this could be one of the Midsaw "All-in-One" Woodworking Machines have a look here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/midsaw/
Thank you Phill and Niall, that certainly looks like it.
Noel
Hmm... bit of a tricky one, Those that might be in the frame are : Robinson, Dominion or possibly Sagar. - as for age my guess would be 1920's / 1930's

very nice machine.....
wish I knew about u when I lived there.....Krugersdorp.....
here's a modern rendition.....plus a planer thicknesser.......

can we have more photo's of the old stuff please.....thats if u dont mind....
IMG_0081.JPG

Your machine definitely isn't a Wadkin PK but many aspects of the design make it feel like it's from the same era. Relatively narrow base under a wide top, big handwheels, lovely rounded edges on the castings....
There's a great thread here, which I'm linking because it has some rare catalogue excerpts and some beautifully restored machines.
https://forum.canadianwoodworking.c...ntage-power-tools/43366-wadkin-pk-generationsThe thread mentions that the first gen PK was around in 1926.
So i'm with @niall Y in thinking 1920's or earlier. I also like his list of possible manufacturers.

Our local hardware store/timber merchant still uses a Sagar machine for ripping timber. Agriculturally simple, but robust and accurate. Pretty sizeable thing too. They have old pit saws hanging on the walls showing how it used to be done. They have a workshop where coffins were made, floored with waste timber, and racks of tools on the wall that would furnish a small carpentry museum.

I had a Dankaert saw that was very similar, 5hp 3 phase motor, It was a great machine & i had it for 15 years.
Weird thing was when i was closing my workshop I had a guy lined up to buy it, The very last time i used it to rip some timber a week before i gave the keys back to the farmer the motor let its magic smoke out & expired!

Back