Paul Sellers says cap iron position doesn’t matter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a wooden rebate plane, but I do have a #10 and a #90 so I can go both ways - but I'm not sure how this would help? It'll either tear one way or the other as the grain reverses around the knot.
Is your #10's chipbreaker setup? a double ironed plane should take care of your knotty wood without any trouble.

Mark H above is one of about three or four people who had ever talked about using a cap iron (accurately) before I started gimmicking it everywhere in 2012.
It was from the Official luthiers forum that I was suggested reading this article from popular woodoworking from 2011,
in which Graham Blackburn suggests that he was very familiar with using the cap iron at the time.
Seems from reading the article he's worth a mention also.

That snippet from the old book describes things much clearer than what I have seen before, wonder why that wasn't used rather than the unclear planecraft article for the "I knew this all along" brigade.

Graham Blackburn Steps in for Ailing David Charlesworth | Popular Woodworking Magazine

i forgot about blackburn - someone responded on wood central that he'd done a presentation at williamsburg with a claim of something like "any plane, any wood, any direction". (cap iron).

The interesting thing is he would give a presentation like this and back then, people were just recording video, and nobody ever mentioned anything about it for at least a year (or three?). How do you see a demonstration like that and not find it useful.

There's a local Marc Adams student here who set up a woodworking school and I said "have a look at this" (he bought my old bench for one of his beginning students). I took a huge leaf off of a piece of curly maple with a and he looked like he'd seen a ghost. He recognized what he just saw immediately, but said that he teaches the students to do most of the stuff with power tools and sanding and use hand planes for fitting etc (I get it, that's typical), but has had a handful of students who said they'd like to work entirely by hand. I told him I wasn't looking to teach any classes to people, neither making planes nor using them as I figured that of that , if one actually stuck it out, that would be my high estimate. Not that people wouldn't do it, but it feels like exercise when you do it.

At any rate, if blackburn said what I mentioned above about any plane any direction and he meant it the way I think he did, then it's right on the mark. And nobody in person seemed to think it was worth repeating.

OK, i'll admit I just read the article you linked after posting above - I see the reference, but it's Wia and not williamsburg (but he may have said the same thing in more than one place). Remarkable that nobody ever thought it was worth mentioning on a forum as those forums in the US are loaded with people who think going to WIA is absolutely mandatory "to learn".

A well known infill plane maker here told me at the time that I was wasting my time chasing the cap iron as he'd only met two professional woodworkers who ever told him he should use a cap iron for tearout reduction - one of those was definitely warren. I wonder if blackburn was the other.

Steve Voigt has done a useful article in M&T 6.

I know some on here are above reading magazines, but I like M&T because they don't ignore the past.
I don't much like M&T because they create a fantasy about the past, Steam Punk fashion.
It's very tempting though - all those pictures of "gorgeous" shavings and old tools!
I guess they wouldn't touch honing jigs with a bargepole, which is good.
Presumably they don't blag on about LN, LV new wave of retro-tools either
I'd be interested in the J Klein book if I can get my hands on a cheap copy, might order it from the library.
PS just read the reviews. Not inspiring. Glossy pictures with shaving on every page! Beardy chaps with pinafores and rows of pencils. I bet they all smoke pipes and play banjos.

Last edited:
Not a matter of being above reading magazines, but sometimes it's like fishing in a pond with one fish and 10 guys standing on the bank trying to catch fish.

One of my articles on WC was distilled and published last year in print, so ...does that make me qualified to say that? And even I don't have the article in print, just a PDF of the layout. Couldn't figure out how to get a single printed copy without subscribing.

I've ordered the Fein book. Expensive and somewhat brief. I'll pass it on here if it's not a keeper.
I'm already not impressed by his M&T technique - you'd think they'd get that right in view of the title of the mag!

This is ridiculous. WC stands for WoodCentral. SMC stands for Sawmill Creek. A google search should provide the link to the sites.

This is ridiculous. WC stands for WoodCentral. SMC stands for Sawmill Creek. A google search should provide the link to the sites.
Never heard of either. I did google WC but found nothing I didn't already know!

Back