Patio repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As I have a little time on my hands I have decided o repair our patio. This 'thing' has been down since we moved here and a number of slabs are loose. I lifted a couple today and found they have been laid on what looks like a concrete mix.

Any suggestions how I can re-lay these loose slabs without to much effort on my part - can I just dig out a small amount of the poor concrete mix and put a layer of dry sand/cement down? Any tips?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did a similar repair job on our patio earlier this year. Ours really needs completely re-doing but didn't have time this year so went for a temporary patching job. I used a wet rather than dry mix. Dug out a couple of inches or so of the old stuff and sometimes more where it needed re-levelling. It's been very successful. Although using a wet mix was more back-breaking I felt that would guarantee a successful job whereas I'm not sure a dry mix always works very well - but I'm no expert on the subject so others may have a different view :wink:

Paul

using a wet morter mix makes the job easy use say a 5 to 1 mix with plasticator and place dabs so that the slab can be driven down and the dabs have some were to expand into makes lining up to adjacent slabs easy.

By the way, Wickes sell a really good, heavy duty plastic tray thingy with raised sides for mixing the sand and cement on. Had mine several years and used it a lot. Excellent and saves a lot of mess :D

Paul

If the base is in good condition, but the slabs are loose try gripfix.

Not the best maybe but it sticks coping stones on walls better than a cement mix.

Les

Back