Passaround time?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking that it's a while since we did a passaround, but what to do???

BSKLI.gif

These are gorgeous and very light to post.

GYODSFCS.jpg

These have only been in for a couple of months and again the postage would be cheap.

RKAB.gif

Or perhaps an example of Mr Kell's workmanship?

Other ideas suggestions most welcome.

Don't know if I dare put my hand up, I was doing some planing earlier and it was getting quite vigorous, inevitably the pile of rubbish at the back of the bench got knocked and something fell with a clang down the back.

Of all the things it could have been it had to be the AI 1" dovetail chisel, now with added edge dents. Luckily for me 5 mins on the stones had it back to razor sharp. I'm not normally a dropper...

I wouldn't mind a passaround of a good quality rasp, I've only had experience of cheapo ones and they're not tempting me to look at any others

Cheers

Damian

I'll go with rasp. Or one of the new morticers ?

Hi Matthew

I'd be interested to see that Richard Kell sliding bevel - looks very nicely made from the piccy. I've got some dovetails to set out for my competition entry, and my normal dovetail guide isn't large enough, so that guide would be useful (not that i've not already got a sliding bevel of course, but shiny things are much nicer :D )

Cheers

Karl

If you want a dovetail setting gauge, the Kell one that Matthew sells is very good...I have one and will be bringing it to the GSB - Rob

woodbloke":1c8wx0ky said:
If you want a dovetail setting gauge, the Kell one that Matthew sells is very good...I have one and will be bringing it to the GSB - Rob

Good we'll be able to compare it with the one's from down under.

woodbloke":237a223d said:

Good we'll be able to compare it with the one's from down under.

woodbloke":7on0is52 said:

Rob - i've got the Kell dovetail marker (thanks Secret Santa!), but my stock is 40mm thick and the Kell isn't big enough (25mm max stock thickness).

Cheers

Karl

I seem to remember that Bugbear had a fancy brass one made by Ian Daziel? and Paul Chapman had a similar design made out of acrylic?

The latest Pop Wood has a feature on making wooden ones - usual American Mag. pics of unguarded table saws being used!

Rod ( I have RK's sliding bevel - it's almost too nice to use? )

Harbo":blo6d6j1 said:
I seem to remember that Bugbear had a fancy brass one made by Ian Daziel? and Paul Chapman had a similar design made out of acrylic?

Here they are

Dovetailmarker2.jpg

Dovetailmarker.jpg

The one I made from perspex is a copy of one Rob (Woodbloke) made.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi,
Heres mine its made from two pieces of brass riveted together.
DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

1 in 6 on one side 1 in 8 on the other and the top is 90 deg.

Pete

Ooo, dovetail gauge show and tell? I can do that:

1428892636_3fbb1850d0.jpg

The acrylic one was made with a sliding dovetail, which seemed appropriate. Mind you, I still vividly recall watching Rob Cosman at the Axminster Show using a folded business card for the same job, which is slightly sobering for the tool acquisitor. :(

Cheers, Alf

Blister":224oqk9q said:
OK . I give up :?

Whats all this about then :? :? :?

:-k :-k :-k

I guess matthew provides a tool and members send it to each other to play with and evaluate - I wont be getting involved because i am rubbish at passing things on ( I found your "make it and pass it on plans" the otherday while tidying up the 'shop - oops :eek: )

Paul Chapman":2czguitn said:
Dovetailmarker.jpg

The one I made from perspex is a copy of one Rob (Woodbloke) made.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
I think this is a Robert Wearing design, and works very well. The advantage is that it can be skewed if you ever need to do 'hopper' dovetail joints - Rob

I wouldn't mind taking a look at one of those clamps. I have always bought cheap clamps and often wondered what really good ones are like.

Bob

BTW. If I am the only one, do I get to keep it? :D

Looks like the Kell adjustable bevel is in then.

The first prototypes of the new morticers should be here in the next week and I've got a sample on the way from the other French nickerpeckers. As it's all light maybe the best thing would be to have several items in the box.

Back