pallets utility storage finished,but need quick help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i quickly went out n finished making some storage units for my mum today out of old pallets (no rain :) )
as you all know i know nothing about wood so here goes,
i finished making it my way today
but heres my issue
i'm thinking i should of put a back support/brace on? as has a lil play left to right on them especially the longer one

if so which one of these that i've drawn?

An 'X' shaped double brace would be best, but then you would need to joint them together flat where they pass one another.
The easiest thing to do would be to cover to back with thin ply - tacked around the edges.

Richard T":1wva91tl said:
An 'X' shaped double brace would be best, but then you would need to joint them together flat where they pass one another.
The easiest thing to do would be to cover to back with thin ply - tacked around the edges.

haven't got any lol
couldn't i just use a straight bit of pallet?
if not guess il have to buy some ply
(it'll look like a cheap argos bookcase then lol)

nway do you recon i could get away with not putting anything on the back (no brace?)

I'd put 4 diagonal braces on - one on each corner. Each brace roughly half way along the shelf to half way along the upright pieces, that way you avoid having to overlap them.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1h65ceie said:
I'd put 4 diagonal braces on - one on each corner. Each brace roughly half way along the shelf to half way along the upright pieces, that way you avoid having to overlap them.

Paul

so you mean a x but 4 pieces is that correct (i think i get you?)

ps do i really need to put anything on the back
as i got a feeling they might be ok as they are

as i so want to fill them up right now lol

what do you think?

Dibs-h":wyqlp5vz said:
You could use wire - steel wire could be ok. Or even some nylon rope.

omg that sounds crazy lol

i think ill skip that

well would it be ok with doing nothing to the back???

or shouild i just go buy some ply?

or would a diagonal be ok? as i dnt want to do a x

ummmm as i was a lil lost on the help that paul gave

Greek Enigma":13qy9zwb said:
so you mean a x but 4 pieces is that correct (i think i get you?)

No, not an 'x'. What I meant was that the braces are arranged so that each corner is a triangle.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

Paul

I'll second Pauls idea.

Used to have some wooden racks at work that actes as a display stand for plant bulbs instore. They looked a lot like your stands. They too had 4 corner braces in the outer corners. I think that the longer the brace across the corners, the more racking they'll stand up to.

A full pallet plank should do it provided you can nail/screw it into a decent point.

No, like this

Racking.jpg

Paul

Paul Chapman":1wcgyd3o said:
No, like this

Racking.jpg

Paul

now i get what you meant about the lil triangles

ill defenetly do this tomorrow
as i'm guessing it'll add alot of support/strengh?

can i use screws as i'm out of nails?

and do i have to make sure i screw into the uprights or will just screwing into the shelfs be ok?

thanks for your help

Hi GE

Just use screws but make sure you drill a pilot hole first as it might split the wood otherwise. Use a drill that is the same diameter as the body of the screw without the thread or sightly smaller. Try one first and make sure it holds tight without splitting then you have the correct hole size.

Jim

Screws will be OK. Screw to both the shelves and the uprights otherwise it won't work. Should make it very strong and stop all the racking.

Good luck :wink:

Paul

jimi43":1jfp2n22 said:
Hi GE

Just use screws but make sure you drill a pilot hole first as it might split the wood otherwise. Use a drill that is the same diameter as the body of the screw without the thread or sightly smaller. Try one first and make sure it holds tight without splitting then you have the correct hole size.

Jim

i'm not that stupid (i always do this method myfriend)

i always pilot drill unless its mdf
and umm i always hold my drill piece near the screw and make sure its a li'l smaller that the screw aka the body of the screw (its common sense)

but thanks anyway,but i did know this

(not being rude :p )

Paul Chapman":2c0ngifx said:
Screws will be OK. Screw to both the shelves and the uprights otherwise it won't work. Should make it very strong and stop all the racking.

Good luck :wink:

Paul

thank you

will do this tomorrow

if England doesn't rain :roll:

Back