painting melamine faced kitchen doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
I been asked to quote to paint kitchen doors for a customer.
The doors are of a 70's style textured melamine faced with an oak trim with a finger pull
moulded into it.
I've done it many times on solid oak but never on this type.
Anyone done it and did it last ? i did not want to take it on if after a year it started pealing.
I did suggest to replace the fronts with new doors and draw fronts, and would rather go
down this route.

Ronseal Cupboard paint is made for just you're job on melamine doors and cupboards interiors, there are other makes, Dulux, etc. and therefor should be reliable, I have had good experiences with both their products in the recent past using specified paints on different materials.
Colours are a bit limited but trawl round Google and see what's made.
Obviously the method etc will be on the tin!
HTH Regards Rodders

You need to be absolutely brutal with the cleaning - I know this to my cost.

Soap and water - then dry
Isopropynol - then dry
Acetone - then dry.
Then paint.

Treat it like painting a car and you will be fine. Otherwise it flakes off in a few weeks.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
I feel it will be ok now to put in a price for the job.
Although from what slow steve has said, with all that prep it looks like
the price will be a lot higher.
Flynnwood i always use Zinssers for all my priming work, the water based one, always 2 coats, good stuff.

My neighbour peeled the melamine from his and then painted them. He did a cracking job to be honest , I was a bit sceptical when he first told me what he had done but was impressed with the finish when I actually saw them.

Back