Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Have 10 of these to do, :shock: restore or replicate according to condition. Redwood, linseed oil putty. Big (14ft) and high on second story.
Will paint before re-installing. It's got to last, I don't want to have to do these again for some time. Access is difficult to near impossible without scaffolding.
So question is: does anybody have any particular paint recommendations? Lead is out as it isn't listed building. Trad linseed oil paint has been suggested. Are there other modern options perhaps, or any suggestions for long life paint?

window1.jpg

window2.jpg

cheers
Jacob

Hi Jacob

I have a friend that has been doing a listed house and has had to paint some of the windows.

I will ask her tomorrow about what she used as she did look in to getting lead paint.
I will post on it tomorrow

I hope this will be of help.
Regards Colin

just a quick story to explain why alkyd resin became the paint of choice. during ww11 little if any maintenance painting was carried out. at the time linseed oil and alkyd were about equal in the market with no clear leader in longevity. after 5/6 years painting started and it was noticed that alkyd resin paint had retained its integrity much much better than linseed oil paint. thus alkyd became the paint of choice. as far as brands go johnstones and dulux are the market leaders and both market exterior gloss that is microporous and flexible. i seem to recall which? doing a test on gloss and johnstones came out on top i think. i hope this helps.

Hi Jacob,

Dulux Weathershield gloss has a 7 year guarantee if you also use Weathershield primer and undercoat. Not sure how the guarantee would hold up if the paint failed tho.

Mark

The original paint is surely linseed. If you plan on leaving some old paint on the wood and just painting over, the new paint has to be linseed. Alkyd hardens with time much harder than the original paint and starts peeling. I have seen it on many windows, usually the ones painted after 60's start to flake. It's not as critical on walls, but windows and doors tend to suffer from flaking. Several layers underneath may be OK, but the last modern paint coat peels off.

The Holkham paints are good, they are sold over here with the original Allbäck trade mark. They are proper linseed oil paints, widely used for restorations over here.

Pekka

yes the old paint will be linseed and white lead. Can't use white lead unless a listed building which this isn't.
Usually proper restoration and correct materials is a priority for me but in this case I'm more bothered about longevity. Still it looks like linseed oil paint is tops so far so thats OK.

cheers Jacob

For me it seems that Holkham and Allbäck are just the same paint with different jars.

I use mainly these paints:

http://www.uula.fi/englanti/index.html

They don't seem to have a retailer in UK, but I think mail order is just as easy.

When restoring windows I use their linseed oil paint on the outside and a hi-gloss door and window paint ( http://www.uula.fi/englanti/windowdoor.html ) on the inside. The window paint has varnish added to it so it gives much nicer gloss and dries fast, but it hardens a bit too much if used outside. If exposed to rain and too much UV it loses the gloss and may crack.

Pekka

Hi there,

Knotting first.

Aluminium paint, then prime/undercoat/gloss with any good exterior grade paint. (Suggest professional grades).

Finish with a good yacht varnish, two coats.
If the windows face South, very little will be 100% relaible against the Sun.

Hope this helps.
John

Back