Overwhelmed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have spent so many years wanting a man cave
finally built it earlier this year
it was a 3.5m x 3.5m square and extended it this year to double its size
have all these great plans, like most I guess
I have it all planned out in my head
here's the issue though:
I open the doors and can't move
everything is spread from one end to the other
everything will fit if I could just sort it
I am now at the stage of closing the doors and giving up
it takes an hour to empty before I can do the next bit
half a days work, put it all back
all the stuff to be stored nearest doors is buried at the back
winter makes the challenge 10 times worse

anyone else got in this state?
in all my 50 odd yrs I have never been so close to depression

not sure why I posted this, other than some support and to see if I am the only one to get in this state

Steve

Your not the only one, I'm part way through converting my single garage into 'workshop'.
The garage is full of tools/materials/stuff and like you to make any progress I have to move everything into one space do some work and move everything around again - it's soul destroying.
Also as this is a 'spare' money project progress is sssslllooooww...
Also can't get any other 'good' projects done because there's nowhere to do them...

Ways to make progress (ime):-
Have a clear out and throw anything you don't really need - and I mean be really ruthless, no really really ruthless.
If you have an area of your project that's for storage of 'stuff' get that finished first above all else, you can then fill it up and make some space. Part of my solution was to build a wooden shed for storage (did that summer before last), phase two is a roof over a small patch of the garden for storage of non valuables - hopefully coming soon.
If you have the funds maybe you could rent some storage and transfer as much as possible to that and then crack on with what you need to do.
Getting some help once in a blue moon is a good morale booster, even if it's just for a few hours to get a particularly annoying job done.
Once in a while just forget the whole thing and spend a few weeks doing something else that you like, you'll feel much better about the main task if you do.
Acknowledge the small things you get done - baby steps..

Fwiw

I have been there mate. I had a 30 sq mt workshop at my last 2 houses and never really got the time to use them, even if i could have gotten past all the work related stuff i kept in there and got to my tools and machinery. 4 years ago i downsized to an end terrace with a long narrow garden and decided to build a 15 sq mt workshop, which is 5mts x 3 mts. My last two were just over 4 x 7 and i had to fit a quart into a pint pot when i eventually moved all my gear across. Luckily, my mate bought my old house and let me keep my stuff there until i got my new house sorted and shop built. It soon filled up and i had to build a 9ft x 8ft storage shed on the end for stuff i don't use often and timber sheets/offcuts. Then i had to set about making my shop work for me and have been moving the layout around trying to get it to flow better. I started to get rid of stuff as well, which required being ruthless but i don't miss any of it. Putting as much stuff as i can on castors has been a big help and being more methodical in the work process. I also started an unexpected business earlier in the year when i took over from someone who was retiring and that kept me busy setting up, so a did a lot of temporary stuff just to get the ball rolling. Once i got on top of that, winter was here and i still hadn't got round to insulating the place and didn't even have soffits on. It was freezing, so now i have to board and insulate by moving stuff from one section to another, insulate it, board it, paint it, move everything again and do some more. The roof was particularly tricky and most days i had to chuck stuff outside to work, if the weather was good. then do what i could before putting everything back again. It was chaos and a bit soul destroying. Took me 3 weeks to do a 3 or 4 day job if the place had been empty and it was hard physically and mentally. It's all done now apart from tweaking stuff as i go along and it's great just to walk in and get on with stuff. I really hated the place a month ago but now love it in there. You just have to formulate a plan and get on with it. There's no other way.

I took a lot of pictures but i still haven't got round to sorting and posting them. I will try and sort it and you can see for yourself what can be achieved. Hope you can get a second wind because it's worth it.

Steve.

SteveF":3a28mihb said:
everything will fit if I could just sort it

Steve

You gave your own answer :)

Spend this weekend reorganising it, imagine how good you will feel afterwards.

I love reorganising my space. I work from home and I usually have a really good spring clean of my office in the week between Christmas and New Year.

Liberating.

Go on....

Don't give up. It will drive you mad - but ultimately that shed will keep you sane!

Do you have any quick fix ways to make some instant space? Funky folding ladders that make platforms = instant shelf and some stuff off the floor. Then you have room to move. Really Useful Boxes are very strong. They stack solidly - box and stack a lot of stuff and clear a little floorspace and protect it like crazy and work in that spot. Ikea shelving goes up in a flash - Ivar is very cheap and you could build an island or run it along one wall. Each bay is about a quarter square metre. Four shelves in it might clear a square metre. Four bays = four square metres cleared. Boxes and cheap shelving can be reused in the loft. My first flat's shelves are now in my loft.

When I was playing around with the layout in my shed, I made some folding trestles. Quick and easy job.

Put them against a wall and fix to the wall for more stability - battens on the floor if you can to stop the legs going anywhere. Osb board top and a temporary bench. Turned out to be very strong and is still there! Make some temporary benches in this way. You can get plenty underneath and even machines on top. When you get your proper benches in and made - take them down and you'll have lots of trestles to use around the place and OSB.

That's the key, getting stuff off the floor. I did the sections where i wanted shelving first and had shelves up and stuff on them before i had got half the walls boarded. Forgot to mention that i put down new flooring as well, so making at least some floor space was a priority and the more stuff i got up on the walls, the easier the job became because i didn't have to move it any more. Most unused space in a room is up in the air. When everything is on the floor, it's impossible to do anything.

As has been said, the main thing is to get as much as possible out and into temporary accommodation. We put up our old frame tent on the garden and filled it with timber, hand tools, power tools, anything moveable. That way you only have to move stuff twice, it's soul destroying shifting gear in and out all the time.

Phil

Take it in easy steps an hour a day BUT do it every day. Its more mentally demanding than physically demanding
Been there and got the tee shirt

Brian

seems I am not the only one
temporary benches I thought was the answer...fail
they are now the biggest pain as they have tools on the top and on a shelf below
and are right in the way
they are the ones now in the way
maybe i should try and stack them in a corner and work from there
i cant dream of leaving anything outside even in a tent this time of year

thanks for encouragement

Steve

Hey, look on the bright side - the bigger your workshop, the more you fill it !
Did not think I would fil
Mine, but, yep, it's full.
If I just had a bit more space I could get a surface grinder, cylindrical grinder, some cold saws and maybe a larger thicknesser. Oh, and a larger bandsaw would be nice too.

Best thing you can do is burn all those little offcuts that 'will come in handy'.

Roger's Laws of Offcuts state that :

1) When you find a piece that's the right width, it won't be long enough

2) When you find a piece that's the right width and long enough, it won't be thick enough

3) When you find a piece that's the right width, long enough and thick enough, you won't have enough of them to complete the project.

Eventually when you do get it shipshape and organised it pays to be strict in keeping it that way.
A place for everything and everything in it's place, it saves a lot of time and frustration.
And try to tidy/sweep/hoover up after each work session.
It's surprising how an untidy workspace can give you a negative mind set and a tidy one can keep you upbeat.

I sympathise - I have similar difficulties. My approach when confronted with a seemingly overwhelming task is to remember that the best way to eat an elephant is one mouthful at a time - sort it slowly in bite-sized chunks - "little and often". One of the funnest bits I have found is to make storage places for things and then use them e.g. I say to myself "this weekend I'll make a storage rack for my sash clamps and put them in it" - over time, things do become more organised. The worst possible outcome is that you have all the gear and end up not getting pleasure from actually using it. Cheers, W2S

PS making storage can be a good way to use up off-cuts (win-win!)

Start putting up french cleats near the doors, and progressively move stuff off the floor and onto the walls - this will give you constantly improving access as you burrow further into the pile. By using french cleats, it will be very easy to move stuff around afterwards - you are not committing to any particular layout. The cleats needn't be too posh as long as they work, and if you're not sure what they are, just do a search on "french cleats". Mine are made out of 18mm ply, cut at 45 degrees - very straightforward - but you can use whatever timber you have available.
I find a cup of tea always helps as well!
Duncan

I was going to make small boxes with perspex fronts to put my small power tools in, and french cleat them
I cant get on with the clunky plastic boxes tools come in, and can never get the cable back in
I may include the accessories for them in same box
i.e jigsaw with all spare blades etc

does sound a plan ?

Steve

Ah yes, that sounds very familiar. My workshop is about 40 ft x 18 ft, with an even bigger area for 'storage'. That means loads of space to store everything and throw very little away. So I have ended up with everything jam packed, with stuff I know I have hidden behind everything else, and overall it is a total shambles. So I go in with the intention of having a clear out, then get totally disheartened, have a cup of tea. However I am making slow progress.

K

when does it become an offcut?
is there an exact science?
also I know that you should not cut a board until you have a use for it
but I have several waney edge yew boards, only about 4' long but wonder if I should rip them into 6" strips and they would stack easier?
I have taken as much of garden as allowed so extra storage is not an option
I have a few bisley drawer units I put all the small items in
I do have trouble culling tools
I have about 30 hand planes and probably need 5 or 6 max, as an example of my poor choices

Steve

Back