Wet, Wet, Wet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
No , not the rock group, but the weather. Everything here is completely sodden. The garden path down to the chickens is flooded, as is around the back of my workshop. The end of the field behind this is also under water. The lawn is now a quagmire where I have paddled, to and fro, between the workshop and house.

This is the most waterlogged I have ever known it in the last 15 years. Thankfully my workshop has been a lot safer since I installed a 6 inch drain linking the back field to the drain in the road outside. Previously the workshop was prone to regular flooding. And, there is nothing quite so depressing as standing in a downpour trying to get a pump started to protect ones workshop - other than, of course, failing miserably and having to clean up the mess.😭

Another side effect of the incessant rain , is that the cabbages leeks and broccoli I transplanted earlier have failed to thrive, They have remained dwarfed as their young roots are failing to cope with being waterlogged,. By contrast some broccoli I planted 4 weeks earlier, is thriving.:)

But you do live in Wales and like Cumbria we are known for the rain with oonly scotland beating us on many occasions.
Ah ... yes, - "What's a little wet to a water rat" A neighbouring village, Eglwyswrw, nearly broke the record for the largest number of rainy days in a row.

You live in Wales, I’m in Cheshire, we know what season it is by the temperature of the rain!

It's a shame the water companies couldn't devise a way of storing all this bounty from the heavens. Sadly, paying out shareholders' dividends trumps building new reservoirs.
Yes, but a number of water companies, especially in the South East have put forward plans for new reservoirs only to get trapped in the hell that is Planning with all it rules and NIMBYs!!

Perhaps it's time to start rice production. More reservoirs, catching this amount of rain,:mad: would probably sink the country!:(:unsure:

No , not the rock group, but the weather. Everything here is completely sodden. The garden path down to the chickens is flooded, as is around the back of my workshop. The end of the field behind this is also under water. The lawn is now a quagmire where I have paddled, to and fro, between the workshop and house.

This is the most waterlogged I have ever known it in the last 15 years. Thankfully my workshop has been a lot safer since I installed a 6 inch drain linking the back field to the drain in the road outside. Previously the workshop was prone to regular flooding. And, there is nothing quite so depressing as standing in a downpour trying to get a pump started to protect ones workshop - other than, of course, failing miserably and having to clean up the mess.😭

Another side effect of the incessant rain , is that the cabbages leeks and broccoli I transplanted earlier have failed to thrive, They have remained dwarfed as their young roots are failing to cope with being waterlogged,. By contrast some broccoli I planted 4 weeks earlier, is thriving.:)
The easterly gale last Thurs/Friday tore a strip of felt on my workshop roof, free from its nails, & flipped it neatly over the ridge. Unfortunately, I'm no longer fit enough to get up there, & my neibours too busy working, so will have to wait. At the weekend the wind veered, & blew it back, then proceeded to try destroying it! Now I need to get new felt, c'est la vie!

Back