Overheating motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record C26+ combi which has 3 2hp Class 1 induction motors. A month ago after using the planer for about 15mins continuously there was a bit of a burning rubber smell when I switched it off. On further examination I found the planer motor was very hot and the so was the belt. I contacted Record who said "they do get hot" but agreed to come out with a new motor which they did.

Over last weekend I planed a large amount of pine using it for about 30 mins continuously. The motor was so hot that the bolts holding it under the thicknessing table were too hot to touch.

As this is the second motor I thought I'd ask the forum for advice to see if it is normal, or there is something else that's causing it to overheat, before contacting Record.

Someone else recently had a problem where, if I remember rightly, the motor on their Record table saw actually caught fire (it was only months old)!! :shock:

I'd be very wary of this, perhaps you should keep on to Record. :?

I was told i was overuseing the tsp250 which is essentially a hobbyist saw, The capacitor caught alight, Not the motor. But I wouldnt have thought the motor should get that hot on your Rojek/Record!.

I found record to be very helpfull, But They will probably say you are overuseing the planer!!

Run it without load for a few minutes and inform us about temp then. Under these conditions it should get barely warm and remain at that temperature.

Roy.

Digit, when Record changed the motor we ran it for 15 mins under no load and the pulley was too hot to hold. I agreed to test it out over a few weeks and it wasn't till last weekend when I was planing about 60m of pine that I noticed that it was hotter than the 15min run.

Sure as hell doesn't seem right. Brush motors can run hot, but there is a limit.
Wahing machine motors will get pretty hot as they are subjected to heat from the wash programme, are encased and have no cooling fans, but they don't get as hot as you describe.
I would like to talk to their technical department on that.

Roy.

Isnt it usual for single phase motors to get hot or is it a 3 phase motor.Most single phase machines ive had got pretty hot to touch.

Don't think I've ever run my Lurem planer for more than about 15 min continuously, but have never noticed it get hot. Or even warm.
BUT, it's fitted with a very old, massive cast iron motor (originally off a bale elevator :) ). which may behave differently from more modern motors.
AND when regrinding some turning chisels to re-shape them on a Record 6" grinder, I noticed that that got distinctly warm after about 20 minutes continuous running

Depends on power, losses, casing size, insulation and cooling arrangements.

Roy.

The only time i've had an induction motor on a machine get any way near as hot as you describe is when I had a 60Hz motor on my Unisaw. As soon as I fitted it with a new 50Hz one, it never gets past luke warm, even if I run it on/off all day. It certainly doesn't sound right and after checking that there are no obstructions or problems with cooling fan, i'd ask to speak to a Record engineer about it again.

jonathan.

Motors get hot because they are run without enough power or there is a problem with the bearings ,is it spinning properly? I can run mine all day and they do get warm but you can still hold them without burning your hand.Also 220 motors run better because of more power....
I can take a motor and give it a spin (off the machine) and it should coast..If it doesn`t I`d get another one

Back