out and about this weekend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elaine":1ljtovhd said:
The forms are hollowed through the base via a 20 mm hole first of all. Then reversed to finish the top.

Hi Mark
Is it possible to see the base and how you do this hollowing??

Hi Elaine

I have some free time over the weekend so I will do a WIP to show how it is done and take a pic of the base of the ones I have shown here.

here is a pic of a beech one I have taken a pic of the base to show the join etc. The rings discuss the join in this instance.

IMG_0069cropped.jpg

Picture of the base. The outer cove is join. The outside dia of the foot is around 25mm
1-2.jpg

Paul.J":2aipsz3d said:
Great forms again Mark,but i really do like the coloured platters :D
I like the effect on the rim,very nicely done :D

Hi Paul

thank you. I like the technique as it s free and fun to do.

Thanks Mark. I look forward to seeing your WIP pictures. I appreciate you sharing your skills and the time it takes you to do that. Your stuff really inspires me.

Elaine":8yx5lnhm said:
Thanks Mark. I look forward to seeing your WIP pictures. I appreciate you sharing your skills and the time it takes you to do that. Your stuff really inspires me.

Hi Elaine

I have to say in all fairness that I have to do the WIP for my web site as I hand out notes/WIP packs/aide memoirs or what ever the buzz word is at the current time :D at the demo's I attend. people can download them from the web site with a pass word etc.

I don't post WIP's in the forums any more but once I have completed it which probably won;t be until the end of next week now as I am a bit busy I will send you one.

cornucopia":1xik0wmy said:
looking at the picture of the base mark- you'd never know it was a plug- great job

George

Thanks

It was more luck than judgement. This one worked out spot on but often I have to say I am .5mm out etc and you can just see it. Mind you I don't think that many are that concerned when buying but it is obviously nice to get it as good as I can.
The only way you can tell this one is a bung is if you look down through the top and you can see a slight dark glue line where I went over board with the CA.

I am teaching tomorrow but hopefully will get the bases photo'd from the ash ones shown here.

MArk, how on earth do you make a plug from the original wood without leaving a kerf or gap in the wood?

I can only guess that you cut inwards in a taper?

myturn":23q5k6h0 said:
MArk, how on earth do you make a plug from the original wood without leaving a kerf or gap in the wood?

I can only guess that you cut inwards in a taper?

Hi Mick

No there is no need to cut in at a taper but this is the way it is shown in Mark B's book and is a good option.

Beautiful work Mark and a good insight into production etc. too. Thanks for sharing !

Leo":332bypgt said:
Beautiful work Mark and a good insight into production etc. too. Thanks for sharing !

Hi Leo

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Originally I trained as an engineer in the aerospace industry so I was very analytical about the processes involved as during my apprenticeship I spent time from the first contact of the ingots right through to the final processes. There are other forms that I have studied from Japanese culture for many years and all advocate conserving energy unless needed. taking the most direct route and working with the situation not against.

So I guess that this I apply naturally to the way I work.

Thanks again

Mark,

I like that process, " conserving energy unless needed ", but I call it lazy, which I am hehehehe

Seriously though, it does take me far too long to make some things and your thought process is the way that I need to go, I just amble from one piece to another, whatever wood I have etc. but if I put woods in piles of similar sizes/types etc. and made a plan, I can see that I would waste much less time, thanks for the insight

Leo !!.

Leo":2f2pzvkk said:
Mark,

I like that process, " conserving energy unless needed ", but I call it lazy, which I am hehehehe

Seriously though, it does take me far too long to make some things and your thought process is the way that I need to go, I just amble from one piece to another, whatever wood I have etc. but if I put woods in piles of similar sizes/types etc. and made a plan, I can see that I would waste much less time, thanks for the insight

Leo !!.

Hi Leo

It is called lazy by some :D :D :D however for me there is a difference between being lazy and being more efficient. :D

I find at times as as turner I would do things as it was the way things have always been done.

Mind you I am sure if we went back 100 years and went into a treen turners workshop we would find that the methods were much the same, efficient etc.

Just by altering a few processes it becomes much more productive and fun as you get more out of your time. Also by working to the same processes I find that I make less mistakes as I am so use to the way I work.

Blister":2fw3c132 said:
Hi Mark

Can you post some photos of your mirror project in this months wood turning mag

I think its a very nice piece of work =D>

Thanks Blister.

I will have to check ref copyright on the pics before I do or will take some of my own and post.

I enjoyed making it and it has many options for clocks, barometers or even bowls etc.

Hi Blister

I thought it was much quicker just to take another pic of it on my wall.

Thanks for the interest .

mirror1.jpg

here are the pics of the bases that I have been promising the last few days. Been hectic.

IMG_0003ed-1.jpg

IMG_0002ed-1.jpg

If you have not seen Mark demonstrate, you should.
He came to our club last month "Orchard Woodturners" and the comments were,
Why have we not had him before.

Fred

Happy amateur":3d5g0zjy said:
If you have not seen Mark demonstrate, you should.
He came to our club last month "Orchard Woodturners" and the comments were,
Why have we not had him before.

Fred

Hi Fred

Thank you for that compliment. I enjoyed the day very much.

One of the hollow forms shown in this thread was made at your clubs demo, ( but I expect you worked that one out), :D

Oh I also enjoyed the pub lunch (and the diet coke) :D

Thanks again and I look forward to meeting up perhaps at Yandles if you are going if not some other time.

Back