• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Anyone able (and willing) to 3D print a dust extractor part?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustandwax

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title looking for someone to 3D print a dust extractor shroud for a tablesaw?
Would of course pay for materials and your time and postage.
I don't have a digital drawing, that would need to be created, but the basic shape; think of 25mm postal box long ways up, which flares out at one side downwards to form a round connector to fit into a 100mm dia extrator hose. So the overall size is around 10 inches by 12 to 16" deep, ideally one side of the top would need to be longer than the other side to cover some of the blade and provide better extraction.

Apprieciate without a drawing it's a bit difficult to visualise, but I'd supply some measured drawings to work from. Just want to know if it's possible and have a pointer around the cost as I don't how time on these printers is charged out, and this is a fairly large piece.

Do you mean something like this?
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 17.38.08.png

yes very much like that, only the rectangular section needs to narrow down to about 25 to 30 mil wide. Though that may be made to work, least better than what is there is now. Do you have link to who sells them?

I was going to print something similar but it was too big for my printer. Also when cut in two pieces they were over 16hrs print time each. Currently the printer is in the house and the noise "will keep my wife awake" even with the study door closed. :rolleyes:

I may need to do it in four sections now not two; it is also a worry leaving something printing for a long time without looking in on it now and then.

You would need a large printer for your part @sawdustandwax which are expensive and I don't know if there are hobby ones capable of doing it. Probably have to be made in parts.

Personally I would go for buying something and maybe modifying it to suit using bits of plastic etc glued on. Getting it drawn in CAD and successfully printed could be difficult (and expensive) and you'd probably end up having to modify it anyway to fit. 3D printed PLA has a habit of splitting along the layer lines on big thin parts so would probably need to done in ABS or other stronger material.

If the links above are not suitable, you could start with something like this, then buy some of this and fabricate the part. Far too large for my 3D printer.

You could try plastic ductwork this is about 50x250 and larger it's used in false ceilings , but tapered sections to join this to existing ductwork and equipment are available with various round sizes. They are referred to as square to rounds.
Tony

I have a large(ish) 3D printer and may be able to print it for you. The maximum build plate size is 350 x 350 x 400mm high. The printer is quite capable of printing large objects, however, I'm not so sure that I'll be able to draw that sufficiently well in CAD, but perhaps you could find someone else willing to do that. My rates are very reasonable. :) Let me know if I can help.

G.

If none of the above suggestions help you, there’s a fella called Dan Goodier on a couple of the Facebook UK based woodworking groups that makes mainly dust extraction parts.
He might be able to work something out with you.

Thanks for all information and pointers as to how get this done. Whilst getting something custom made would be the ideal and was at the forefront of the mind when initially posting, I don't think it is going to be the easiest or fastest solution.
So after a bit searching this looks ideal

1652643180290.png

from a company called i-sells. co . uk. If it helps improves the collection efficiency above what is currently 1/3rd going into the extractor, a 1/3rd into the cabinet and a 1/3rd onto the floor I'll be happier.

on the first day of The Big Plastic Count it is interesting to see all solutions are plastic based my father would have made something like that from sheet steel but he did move with the times and took to pop rivets in a big way when fixing his old fiat 600.

Latest posts

Back