our new workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick tour round our new space (we moved in in july) - this is the 'shop at work rather than my own.

I'd note that it isnt quite finished - notably the DE isnt in yet (we are currently using a portable - but we do have a DX5000 we just have to run the ducting)

This is the veiw from one end

workshop-east-view.jpg

and from the other

workshop-west-view.jpg

The observant will notice that theres no crown guard on the tablesaw - we do have one, and it gets put on when in use - its just off when these were taken as we had only just finished measuring up for a replacement SUVA style one which is going to come down from the ceiling

Router table

router-table.jpg

The phone isnt usually on it :oops:

Morticer

morticer.jpg

a sedgie 571 wired into a 16 amp supply - it kept tripping the 13 A circuit on start up - its got an inch chisel in and is largely used for morticing sign posts

scms-and-cnc.jpg

Our SCMS on its wheeled base - this has drop down support tables at both sides - on those brackets richard findley recomended from screwfix - behind it is the cnc rig a a Z90P from Routout CNC ltd

drill-press-lathe-and-bandsaw.jpg

The axminster radial pillar drill, the viceroy lathe (those who cameb to miles bashe will have seen this in person - its too low and needs raising on a plinth - and our axminster bandsaw , currently U/S with a dead NVR

handtools-bench.jpg

THe hand tools bench aka dumping ground - this is built out of stuff found in skips asnd wood recycled out of sign boards - no expense spent. NO vices fitted as yet but there are two sitting on top of it waiting to go on - note also the saw and 'mer board on the pillar to the right

planer.jpg

and finally the wadkin planer - this is five years older than me - having originally been built in '68 - but it was fully refurbished and converted to single phase by the joinery company we got it from

Its a decent space, (and a big improvement on our last shop ) but it has to be as there are usually two or three of us working in here at once - tho we do have overspoil space in the main warehouse space outside the doors.

Incidentally if anyone is wondering about security with all those windows, they have security film on so people cant see in, and there is a master blaster alarm system with both break glass detectors and PIRs and automatic police call out- plus all the heavy kit is bolted to the floor and everything is labeled with ourr postcode - also outside the windows there is a fenced compound with 8ft security fences and a padlocked gate with no climb paint on it.

Paul Chapman":ltccvlg2 said:
I noticed your drinking bowl on the floor. Are you a real Moose :? :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

no i'm a big soft one - thats for the "bench dog"

4445792843_64c71cf639_m.jpg

if you look carefully you can see her bed stood up behind the wood - she comes to work with me and in the summer sleeps in the workshop - in the winter she largely stays in the van

big soft moose":1lodr4ht said:
Incidentally if anyone is wondering about security with all those windows, they have security film on so people cant see in, and there is a master blaster alarm system with both break glass detectors and PIRs and automatic police call out- plus all the heavy kit is bolted to the floor and everything is labeled with ourr postcode - also outside the windows there is a fenced compound with 8ft security fences and a padlocked gate with no climb paint on it.

Great space. Isn't it also built inside another building for added security? I think I remember the building pictures you posted ages ago of it been built inside a warehouse.

Sugar here is me saying in anoter post you could come to my shoebox i mean workshop lol to do work.

Cheers

Dave

Great looking shop, Moose. Very efficiently laid out, excellent lighting. I like the metal raceway for the wiring. I looked for something like that last year when I did my shop, but didn't see anything resembling it. The outboard stand for the tool rest is very clever.

Kirk

Chems":3c5r2cfx said:
big soft moose":3c5r2cfx said:

Great space. Isn't it also built inside another building for added security? I think I remember the building pictures you posted ages ago of it been built inside a warehouse.

yep - I cant find the original pics but yes its inside the main warehouse space where our vehicles . plant, and wood are stored

the team we share space with have a duplicate sized workshop , mainly orientated to metal work and machinery repair at the other side of the building - and the whole space is protected by the alarm system and also be double deadlocked doors (and other security measures that i'm not going into on line - Our theft insurance premium has gone down by nearly 300 notes since we moved.

Hudson Carpentry":1s2ojjp8 said:
Are them small CNC machines any good and what do they cost?

Its the buisness for doing signs - a lot faster than the routergraph we used to have. The only problems ive found are

a) getting to grips with the Vetric Vcarve software we use to generate tool paths to run it

and

b) the total working area is quite small (about 18 inches or so)so if you wanted to do a long line of lettering you would have to do it in stages and move the wood

The other thing to watch out for is that it needs a serial printer port, and wont work over a uSB adaptor - it was going to run off my laptop but the lack of a serial port means we've had to get that old computer you can see in the pics to run it - and that computer hasnt got the power to run Vcarve - so I do tool paths on my laptop then move them over to the desktop machine and use mach 3 to guide the actual cutter

It costs us a tad over £2k , but thats ex vat.

big soft moose":rmoj21b6 said:
Hudson Carpentry":rmoj21b6 said:
Are them small CNC machines any good and what do they cost?

Its the buisness for doing signs - a lot faster than the routergraph we used to have. The only problems ive found are

a) getting to grips with the Vetric Vcarve software we use to generate tool paths to run it

and

b) the total working area is quite small (about 18 inches or so)so if you wanted to do a long line of lettering you would have to do it in stages and move the wood

The other thing to watch out for is that it needs a serial printer port, and wont work over a uSB adaptor - it was going to run off my laptop but the lack of a serial port means we've had to get that old computer you can see in the pics to run it - and that computer hasnt got the power to run Vcarve - so I do tool paths on my laptop then move them over to the desktop machine and use mach 3 to guide the actual cutter

It costs us a tad over £2k , but thats ex vat.

Go to dell get a Dell Latitude E6410 and docking station/port replicator it has a parallel port on the docking stations.

Or Ebay any dell Latitude D620/D630 + dock will sort you.

Hell if you get the laptop D620/D630 I'll give you a docking station & port replicator for free.

I say those as I don't think think the D4XX would be powerful enough and the D8XX are big,bulky and likely to cost more.

PM me if you are interested.

cheers for the offer but no can do - we are council hosted and the IT procurement policy only allows the purchase of IBM equipment (and then only from a very limited pool of machines)

also what we've got works , so we cant justify the money for new IT just to make our lives easier

Back