our new toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
Wadkin bursgreen 6BFT 6" surface planer in 240V single phase

!B35fDo!CGk~$(KGrHqYOKnME)5UOJ1GHBMn4-M1sOg~~_35.JPG

£170 notes off ebay , from a bloke just down the road in devizes, its pretty much fully refurbished with new bearings, new switchgear, and two sets of new blades

Man its heavy tho - it took 2 of us to lift it into the back of my van (where it currently is). I just hope our loader driver is arround tommorow so we can get it out the easy way

jimi43":2igl0qp4 said:
I trust you didn't lift it in by the tables!!! :wink:

Great score mate!

Jimi

no - i lifted it by the engine mounting

trouble is that on the other end theres not much else to grab hold of,. and being a planer only not a PT you cant do the bars trick - so we probably did take a degree of weight on the table.

coming out the intention is to put a pallet on the loader forks, raise it up to the height of the van tailgate thewn walk the planer onto it

It`s only a baby, ya can move them on ya own...ask JFC :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice looking machine for the money Pete.

Looks like a fair gloat there, Pete. :wink:

On a relatively "small" machine like that, I don't expect that lifting the machine carefully by the feed tables would do much harm, provided they are secured correctly. Unless, perhaps, you were to lift it by the very ends of each table... :? By holding it a bit closer to the centre (without bending your back), I reckon you would have been alright.

How else are you supposed to lift something like this?! Second-hand machinery will always need a little fettling, anyway.

Hope the weight isn't too much for the van!! :wink: (Actually, it would be interesting to hear how it bears the weight; for future reference...).

OPJ":316j94xb said:
Hope the weight isn't too much for the van!! :wink: (Actually, it would be interesting to hear how it bears the weight; for future reference...).

No problem - it went down on the suspension a fair bit but it took the weight easy - it also has tie down hoops for strapping it down.

Turned out that loader wasnt available, so we put a pallet on the floor at the back of the van and lifted it out by the engine mount until that end was on the pallet - then we tipped it back onto its side (which was easy on account of the weight distribution

Then I drove the van forward , stuck another pallet next to the first one, and tipped it up (still by the engine mount) till it was upright then dragged it back on to the first pallet

then it was a simple matter of using the pump truck to move it into the workshop, dragging it to the edge of the pallet then repeating the tipping procedure onto the floor. Then dragging it to position

Flat concrete floors have a lot to comend them.

That was yesterday , and today we fired it up for the first time, and were pleasantly suprised to find that its got an induction motor , and so is a lot quiter than the previous Sip that had a brush motor jobbie (the motor isnt standard, it started life as three phase and has had a singler phase motor fitted by the previous owner)

All works as advertised except that the height addjustment on the guard was very stiff - we had to clout it up and down a few times with a rubber mallet and apply some grease but its sorted now

(pictures and workshop tour to follow)

Hi Pete,

does it meet all the health and safety requirements? I thought this older stuff went cheap because it doesn't have this guard or that safety switch.

Dave

DustyDave":31l560xi said:
Hi Pete,

does it meet all the health and safety requirements? I thought this older stuff went cheap because it doesn't have this guard or that safety switch.

Dave

yep it does - its got full guarding and a newly fitted NVR

I think what you are thinking of is a lot of 3 phase equipment goes cheap because it doesnt have DC braking and therefore doesnt comply with the stop in 10secs HSE rule.

However this is single phase and does stop in the required time

Back