OT - Painting over grease marks in the Kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
above the extractor fan.

is there a stain block that is any good before I emulsion over it ?

I really dont want to have to re-paper !

Ta

Rich

Any oil based under coat should do it. Maybe 2 coats to be sure.

IMO you should really try to remove as much of the grease as possible before you even attempt to seal it. I suspect that even with the best stain block there is still a chance for the grease to bleed through over time.

I think wizers solution of using oil based undercoat will work I would opt for a good quality paint e.g. Dulux Trade.

Alternatively I have been told that This product is excellent for your type of problem -cannot speak from personal experience though

Cheers :D
Tony

I'm told that a proven age old remedy for blocking soot and smoke stains coming through brickwork is to apply a solution of diluted cow dung. I pass this on in good faith as it might help. :wink:

Rich
zinsser bin is white shellac (knotting) it will stick to most things - might need two coats
If you can wash with sugar soap first all the better
Matt

If I had that problem I think I would hit it with a degreaser. I'm not sure what is available to you product wise on your side of the pond, but go to an automotive parts store and ask them for a degreaser & tell them what you want it for. After the degreasing, a couple of coats of shellac will seal the area.

Lee

ah ! well reminded :)

I had thought about shellac , but then forgot again :?

Latest posts

Back