What is the correct paint for kitchen ceiling?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
What would be the correct white paint to select for a kitchen ceiling?

I called B&Q who said any paint labelled with ceiling paint and when I went to B&Q asked their staff in person for them to point out which ceiling paint as they had loads, they said any with a bit of silk in as although it gives a sight shine it contains some form of gloss which stops grease from sticking to the ceiling.

I didn't really want the ceiling to shine but needed more reassurance if this is the case.

Anyone know which would be the correct white paint in this case?

Is there a local trade paint supplier near you? they probably have a good working knowledge of what will fit your needs, staff in B&Q may well know there stuff, or it could be someone who knows next to nothing

Are you painting onto fresh plaster or an already painted ceiling?

My kitchen ceiling is painted with a good quality matt emulsion paint and it's been fine in terms of not being affected by cooking oils, you can buy specific 'kitchen' paint though I'm not convinced it's essential.

For a domestic kitchen? Overthinking. Ordinary emulsion paint. Any brand. And have a cooker hood running when doing steamy greasy stuff.

I called B&Q who said any paint labelled with ceiling paint and when I went to B&Q asked their staff in person for them to point out which ceiling paint as they had loads, they said any with a bit of silk in as although it gives a sight shine it contains some form of gloss which stops grease from sticking to the ceiling.
Wrong place for advice and to buy paint, look for something like a Brewers decorating merchants or a Johnstones depot. Treat a kitchen ceiling like a bathroom ceiling due to moisture / steam and look for Crown trade clean extreme scrubbable matt or Johnstone's trade acrylic durable matt.

In 40 years of home ownership the kitchen ceiling has always been painted matt vinyl white.

There is no cooker hood, and I have never noticed any paint degradation between redecorating typically every 5-8 years.

Vinyl or super acrylic. Not sure how/if acrylic is graded in your country, but here we would use a P80 grade.

Thanks guys so the way I read it I should go for this white paint
I would never use any Dulux product, bottom of the league. Crown, Permaglaze or Johnstones and there is a difference between paint x from B&Q or any other shed and paint x from a trade decorating centre, often in the number of coats required.

I would never use any Dulux product, bottom of the league. Crown, Permaglaze or Johnstones and there is a difference between paint x from B&Q or any other shed and paint x from a trade decorating centre, often in the number of coats required.
So if not B&Q then I've found Crown decorating centre which do Crown paint.

Is the mould inhibiting scrubbable Matt a good one (about £40)? They have a lot of variations of white paint. Any you would recommend?

if you want anti mould i would throw zinsser perma white into the ring, my bathroom has no window just an extractor and after 4 years of daily showering etc (only bathroom for 2 adults ans 2 small children, not a spot of mould. no idea how grease would affect it but to be quite honest i doubt it would be much of a factor unless you're frying chips all day.

a cheap alternative is supposed to be adding borax to paint to make it anti mould but have not tried this for myself yet.

Unless you're throwing grease, food, liquids onto the ceiling, then a standard Matt finish would be suffice. If you can stretch a little further, then a durable matt. Ask yourself.....when was the last time you wiped your kitchen ceiling? This assumes you've an extractor fitted and steam isn't an issue.

I've Crown Clean Extreme on my walls, and Crown Covermatt on the ceiling as its a flat Matt finish.

As stated above, buy from a reputable decorating centre who should have the knowledge to correctly advise and specify.

Is the mould inhibiting scrubbable Matt a good one (about £40)
Yes a good paint .

Unless you're throwing grease, food, liquids onto the ceiling, then a standard Matt finish would be suffice.
But accidents do happen, it is amazing how much mess a blender can create or a smoothie maker and then it can be handy if you can just clean up the mess without stains.

Yes a good paint .

But accidents do happen, it is amazing how much mess a blender can create or a smoothie maker and then it can be handy if you can just clean up the mess without stains.
Fair comment. Never had it happen to me, but I wouldn't be cleaning the ceiling if that did happen....I'd be hiding from the other half 😆

Are you saying you have never messed up in the kitchen, not even accidently turning the food mixer on with it raised out of the bowl, great way to demonstrate centrifugal force and angular velocity !

Ceiling paint in the kitchen anyone will do but you really want a mat paint on the ceiling and not silk or anything shiny as the light will reflect any imperfections on the ceiling.

I highly recommend Tikkurila AR2 ceiling paint, use it all the time in kitchens and have had no issues.
Just don’t buy it from Tikkurila themselves as there’s other retailers doing it cheaper.

Latest posts

Back