Osmo Poly-x or Danish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFC1047

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a chest of drawers for bedroom, with a cherry main frame, side panels of oak veneered ply, and currently thinking of using some birds eye maple veneered mdf for the drawer fronts. I like danish oil which I have used in the past, but I read somewhere ( now cannot remember where or all the info ) , that Osmo Poly-x oil was excellent for cherry.
Would either of these be OK, any comments about usage would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance

Neither. Liberon finishing oil :D

Just prefer it to other two. More depth of colour that Osmo and less messy to use than Danish.

Very poor pictures but I made two identical tables and finished one with Osmo and the other with Finishing oil. This was when they were just made but now the one finished with Finishing oil has developed a deep dark lustre. The Osmo one (I have) looks the same as in the picture and to my taste it's just a bit dull.

Attachments

• DSC02067.jpg
    DSC02067.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,312
  • DSC02072.jpg
    DSC02072.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,312
transatlantic":1kfb5ooi said:
Please tell me those are machined dovetails?

A bit of both.

The tails were cut on the bandsaw with a jig and the pins (not sure that works for a single joint) were cleared out on the Woodrat and chiseled back to the lines.

Beau":1xj2yw9g said:
transatlantic":1xj2yw9g said:

A bit of both.

The tails were cut on the bandsaw with a jig and the pins (not sure that works for a single joint) were cleared out on the Woodrat and chiseled back to the lines.

Well, very tight! .. excellent.

transatlantic":19agcv54 said:
Beau":19agcv54 said:
transatlantic":19agcv54 said:

A bit of both.

Well, very tight! .. excellent.

Thanks but in all honesty one big joint like this is very easy to do.

Steve Maskery":3qt25ef3 said:
I would have said Osmo, but looking at those pictures I have to agree. I might become a Liberon convert.
Very nice.
It's not perfect for every occasion but I love it on darker woods oak, cherry, mahogany type and walnut. Would use Osmo on lighter woods that I want light maple, ash etc. It's all down to individual tastes though. Be boring if we all like the same thing :D

I have used both the Liberon and Danish and can't say I have noticed a significant difference. However I would gladly use either on any wood than Osmo. I believe that the opacity of Osmo in the can translates into the dullness you see in the OP's picture - compare the clarity of liquid Liberon or Danish oil. One of the reasons we use clear finishes rather than paint furniture is the beauty of the wood; lustre is an important part of that so the last thing I want to do is to apply a finish that dulls that lustre.

Jim

Back