Oscillating/bobbin/ spindle sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do an advanced search on these forums and this has been discussed a few times but for me I started out looking at a bobbin sander and ended up with one of those combined belt / disk sanders. As for bobbin sanders you have the large range of cloned versions from Rutlands, Triton etc but for something decent then look at the Record / Axminster / Jet versions which are much more robust .

I've an unbranded Chinese clone, like jet. But it does have a cast iron top and is very quiet.
I acquired it from a guy who put it in a skip as itdidnt work, so I ask could I take, he was glad to be shut of it.
New capacitor fitted at total cost of £3.59, still using today 3 years on.

Depends on the sort of size you need, I have a floor standing JOVS10, it’s great, use it most days but I remade my own custom spindles that were much taller for my jobs and took hook and loop paper.

there are loads of smaller bench top models

I have the Jet one, my son persuaded me it would be useful and he was dead right, I had to make a sharp concave curve in some 5?” Pine. It was a real lifesaver, surprisingly powerful. The dust extraction on it is effective as well, as long as you have enough suction of course.
Ian

I recently got the Sealey SM1300 and am very happy with it. It is a combined bobbin and oscillating belt sander.
If you look in the for sale part, I have a friend who is a sealey rep and he bought two, and still has one available at £170.

Back