Oscillating bobbin sander sleaves.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest John

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what abrasives anyone could recommend for a bobbin sander. I think mine was from Rutlands some years ago but I’m not sure. I think it’s the same as the triton but a different colour. Anyway I digress. I’ve never been impressed with the several loads of abrasive sleeves that came with the machine. They seem to last for ever but don’t cut very well. I was hoping to find someone selling Hermes abrasives or at least some of that sort of quality. A google search shows sleeves available branded Jet, Scheppach and such, and loads of Silverline. Jet abrasives are not bad on my Jet drum sander, but are not as good as Hermes rolls. I came across a metal cutting abrasive supplier on line whom was marketing his own and making good claims of them, but then he would. Is there a supplier of theses items that everyone uses, and I don’t know about. Sort of along the lines of Ian Blacks bandsaw blades, there being much bigger companies selling blades but none as good as his. If there is a sort of Tuffsaws sanding sleeve supplier, could someone let me in on the secret?

Well after that overwhelming response, I guess I’ll just use up the stock I’ve got then try someone else’s brand and see if they’re any better.

Hello John,

I haven't used them myself but they come recommended.

Abrasives for metal.

Merlin

use a crepe block to unclog the paper while the drum is turning. It definitely helps.

I buy my sleeves from Machinemart. Probably the same machine as yours but in blue.

They seem fine. I do use one of those sticky blocks to clean them so the last a little longer.

I just use Silverline or Triton and throw them away once they don't work to the standard I expect, although some of the Triton belts just get downgraded to a lower grit first.

Mike

Thanks guys. I regularly use the crepe blocks, I have them by each sander.
The “abrasives for metal” were the ones I spotted on the internet and when I’ve run out il give them a go. They read well from the manufacturers info, good that someone likes them. If and when I get round to buying some il report back. I do have quite a number to use up yet.

Back