Opinions on lathe please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laird

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a whirly round thing, in the first instance I want to turn table legs, but am well aware of the size of the slope. So my thoughts are budget limited but I feel I need a bed of at least 36", variable speed (without b£"&*(&$g about with pulleys and belts), industry normal threads, a morse taper tailstock, plug into normal socket capability., 300mm/350mm min above the bed.
I don't/won't do fleabay and have collection problems (due to where I live).
Having hunted around about the nearest I can find is http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... peed-lathe
I am put off by its stand (I'm 6'4") as I feel it will be too low. I have no problem welding up my own stand (and would expect to heighten this stand if I go this route) or making a bench top lathe heavy enough to remain where it is placed.
I realise the size of the question but ---coments/views/polite suggestions please.

I've got the Perform CCBL (now replaced by the AWVSL1000) which would also fulfil your criteria,at a similar price (slightly greater swing,bigger motor,and sliding headstock) - the one you've linked to is the equivalent of the AWVSL900
Very happy with it for the price,Axminsters after-sales service is excellent as well.
But I would agree with you that the supplied stand is far too low - I'm 5'10" and have it mounted on a 3' high bench,which I find a comfortable height to work at.

Andrew

I would go along with Andrews recommend on the slightly better spec. machine and Axminster as a supplier just for customer service with any spares/problems etc.

One thing to note at an early stage is that these machines with mechanical cone belt drives benefit greatly from a regular clean and service of the drive mechanism, 15-20mins once a month if used on a daily basis.

As far as the lightweight stand and height is concerned I added weight to mine by adding a shelf (fit before assembling stand, taper makes it difficult else) I added a top wooden platform and mounted lathe through 75mm wooden blocks. This also aided cleaning under lathe bed and bench top.

I doubt if any commercial stand will suit your height.

Bear in mind that a 36" bed will generally not turn a length of 36" = need to take into account drives, chuck perhaps, tailstock etc.

On speeds - variable is by far the best, IMHO, but you get what you pay for - occasional pulley change is usually cheaper that one knob fits all!

Hi,

I am 6'5" and sympathise with your problrm. It can be resolved easily enough however by building up on the stand by adding a thick plank or planks to the top of the stand. I hvae bolted one onto a provided stand (for the Perform) and using coach bolts to fix the lathe to the plank. This also adds weight to the stand along with Chas's suggestions which helps stability and dampens any vibration as well.

Pete

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew and chas, I'll look at that. Nick, I think I meant 36" between centres, not bed lenghth - is that right?
Pete, I take your point about lifting it off the top of the stand, rather than lifting the stand up, that makes sense. I just wish you could buy the lathes as a bench lathe, leaving you more cash to upgrade the lathe (rather than pay for a stand you don't really want). I was thinking of welding up my own stand and using leadshot as ballst in both a bottom tray and a tray just under the lathe (pehaps 2/3 rds wieght lower to 1/3 weight upper) to steady and dampen vibration.
Thanks again.
phil

Latest posts

Back