Opinions on Axminster AW184CS Circular Saw ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kane

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some opinions on the Axminster AW184CS Circular Saw folks, http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21364.htm

Never owned or used a circular saw up to now, primary use would be in cutting sheet materials mainly up to 18mm (ply/mdf) to make pretty basic things like bookcases and units for the workshop (OK garage lol)

True but all you can do is hope :)

Budget is very tight Dom (as always :)) as long as it can cut straight (using a straight edge as a guide) with a neat cut (I'm thinking that's more down to the blade than the saw) and can manage the 18mm material it'll do for the minute - only other option I can think of is a tablesaw which would have to be in the £100/£150 range or doing it by hand and given the results of my handsawing at the weekend that's not a viable option lol :)

I have the predecessor of this saw ( the same except no laser ) never had any trouble with it and the thin kerf blade cuts like a dream. It gets my recommendation
Phil

Phew glad to hear that Philb - just put the order in before checking the forums :shock: :D

A piece of junk!! I bought one, it did not cut square, the laser was off target, the whole thing felt flimsy, the adjustment for cutting bevels was very dodgy I used it once, abandoned the job sent it back and found a Dewalt one for not much more on Eeeeebay.

The supplied blade is a quality item though. Also they have a good returns policy at Axminster, so you do have the suck it and see option.

Chunko.

Will I get moderated for being critical on this forum?

AUGHHHHHHHHHH

Hang on, How do you mean it wouldn't cut square?

Not bothered about the laser or cutting bevels though but I want to cut straight and square - can't see how it wouldn't cut pretty straight as long as I keep it snug against the guide edge but I'll soon find out lol :)

BTW can't see the use of a forum if people can't be critical :) as long as it doesn't descend into abuse of course.

Re squareness, it did not seem to cut consistently square edges, there was a small amount of play in the mechanism that locked the blade vertically.

It just felt cheap and nasty.

Chunko'.

DomValente":lkef4i3e said:
In that case go for it . You're probably right about the blade, just don't overload the motor.

Good luck

Dom

What he said

I use a B&Q performance pro one with solid aluminium, rather than pressed steel base (runs against a guide a little nicer in my experience)that cost around £45. With a Festool blade in, it cuts very nicely indeed

I have a B&Q Performance too.
For the money it is a nice saw.
With a good blade it works well.

Latest posts

Back