Ooh er missus - What a lovely Pair!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
I have today received the coveted plaque from Blister, for the Decorated July Platter.

In line with tradition I have attached the piccie of plaque and item.

They do look good together. Perhaps it can encourage a greater participation in the coming months as I am sure more of you would like one!

DSC01443.jpg

Very well done and 2 beautiful objects. It would be nice to engrave the names of the winners on the plaques and maybe have a turned item such as your nice plate, vase, bowl as the prizes and would be a great practical excercise rather than those plaques of flat lazer printed sycamore which are just a little bland and not quite in the character of a turning competition. More people might be inclined to join in if the prizes were more interesting and something to think of in future.

Jonzjob":15yp7p9r said:
They look GOOD Colin!

Gnu, I'm proud to have my little plaque. If it were something turned then almost any of us could have done it. After all, we are turners :mrgreen: Engraved with the name would be good, but not essential in my mind..

Engraved would be good, hand written on a bit of scrap paper would be good. He has two and I ain't got none. I'm hard done by. Colin - remember I know your address!! :evil:

However, well done indeed, they do make such a pretty pair.

Jonzjob":1bvendy9 said:
They look GOOD Colin!

Gnu, I'm proud to have my little plaque. If it were something turned then almost any of us could have done it. After all, we are turners :mrgreen: Engraved with the name would be good, but not essential in my mind..

Gnu hear what you are saying but I'm with Jon. Bragging rights is all were really playing for. Bearing in mind I only started poking the spinning thing with metal prods last June - to have two of these little beauties exceeds all my hopes and expectations (but be warned I'm greedy - now the beast has been awaken I'm keen to get more).

I am chuffed to bits to have them and they are entirely adequate for me to pursue more!

Ps Gordon I forgot to tell you I moved :-" :-$ :-" :oops:

Wood spoiler":ry4tu4lr said:
Jonzjob":ry4tu4lr said:
They look GOOD Colin!

Gnu hear what you are saying but I'm with Jon. Bragging rights is all were really playing for. Bearing in mind I only started poking the spinning thing with metal prods last June - to have two of these little beauties exceeds all my hopes and expectations (but be warned I'm greedy - now the beast has been awaken I'm keen to get more).

I am chuffed to bits to have them and they are entirely adequate for me to pursue more!

Ps Gordon I forgot to tell you I moved :-" :-$ :-" :oops:

Hmmm I believe you. Funny though, Google maps still has the same car in the drive. P'raps they haven't updated it yet.

I agree about the prizes. I suspect there would be even more tension over decisions if the prize was any more adventurous. As it is they represent the idea and are quite enough of a spur to keep me at it fro the rest of the year even if Colin is greedy.

gnu":2ydrp5zk said:
Very well done and 2 beautiful objects. It would be nice to engrave the names of the winners on the plaques and maybe have a turned item such as your nice plate, vase, bowl as the prizes and would be a great practical exercise rather than those plaques of flat lazer printed sycamore which are just a little bland and not quite in the character of a turning competition. More people might be inclined to join in if the prizes were more interesting and something to think of in future.

I noticed this reply last night but as I was somewhat wound up by it and thought better of a rushed reply .

So lets look at your comments

It would be nice to engrave the names of the winners on the plaques
It seems you have not had an interest in this from the start or you would be aware that one of our forum members offered to laser engrave the awards at NO COST other than the price of the wood used and postage ( This I funded )

and maybe have a turned item such as your nice plate

Why would a turner want a turned item as an award ? and who would pay say £15 each for a nice bowl blank plus £25 postage, then another £5 each to post them out to the monthly winners making a total of £260 .also who is going to turn the 13 said items and pick up those costs ????. 12 award shields were made all the same to have some meaning along with the slightly larger " Overall Winner Award "

those plaques of flat lazer printed sycamore which are just a little bland and not quite in the character of a turning competition.

All the award winners so far have been very pleased with the awards , Also it not a Competition it a Challenge

To Challenge the entrants to make 12 different projects and take them outside their comfort zones and make something they would not normally undertake

More people might be inclined to join in if the prizes were more interesting and something to think of in future]

Maybe we could have a Vicmarc lathe for the overall winner , A Sorby Pro Edge as 2nd place and £200 of turning equipment as 3rd place

All we need is a sponsor Gnu

Jonzjob":i99nvvzr said:
Don't cost much G :twisted:

I could repay you in kind. When you are passing I'll show you how to translate a 7 kilo cockerel into a tasty treat. No sharp screwdrivers involved, its all done by hand :shock:

The journey into self discovery is half the fun. I mean what's the point of education. Who needs it? (see thread on gangs and moan :roll: )

Thanks for the offer though :lol:

Blister":i99nvvzr said:
ave a Vicmarc lathe for the overall winner , A Sorby Pro Edge as 2nd place and £200 of turning equipment as 3rd place

I'd prefer one of them Magma fings personally. I've always wondered how things pan out where there are real competitions with real prizes. I think it would put off anyone but the pros because of the assumption of timewasting. Perhaps judging by committee rather than one person taking the strain would be the only way to go. Not necessary here anyway - it ain't going to change I reckon.

Stick to your guns Allen,
My old man used to say, rules for anything club or country should be written on the back of a match box, and I have a feeling he was right.
In the four years since I joined the forum quite a few efforts to start something has been tried,most of them failed because it became open for discussion as to what way it should be run too many involved.

Only Two have survived Paul J's Bash and Blisters challange, organised by one person and run as they were set out by The two Boys.

Every four years we have the Olimpics, for over a hundred years People spent the four years training for to try and win A Medal. My Olimpic medal would be one of Blisters Plaques and Boy would I be proud of it.

REgards Boysie

boysie39":5wr7ctfb said:
My old man used to say, rules for anything club or country should be written on the back of a match box, and I have a feeling he was right.
In the four years since I joined the forum quite a few efforts to start something has been tried,most of them failed because it became open for discussion as to what way it should be run too many involved.

Only Two have survived Paul J's Bash and Blisters challange, organised by one person and run as they were set out by The two Boys.

Every four years we have the Olimpics, for over a hundred years People spent the four years training for to try and win A Medal. My Olimpic medal would be one of Blisters Plaques and Boy would I be proud of it.

REgards Boysie

Agreed!! As a fairly new turner, I am itching to get my little pinkies on one of those plaques. And if I ever do, it will be proudly displayed on my poor excuse for a workshops wall, for ever and ever and ever!!!

Melinda_dd":y37e1gm6 said:
boysie39":y37e1gm6 said:

REgards Boysie

Agreed!! As a fairly new turner, I am itching to get my little pinkies on one of those plaques. And if I ever do, it will be proudly displayed on my poor excuse for a workshops wall, for ever and ever and ever!!!

DITTO :!:

Latest posts

Back