One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has got to be a quick quip about making a Pear of those somewhere Andrew but I'll stick with just saying well done on the shape.

I like the apple Andrew... is the stalk in at an angle (can't tell from the pic)

Yes Graham,it is - but if I took the picture to show the angle of the stalk,the grain pattern wasn't as interesting :?

Made a couple of coasters this morning :-

Picture124Small.jpg

Rippled sycamore,105mm diameter,7mm thick,finished in melamine.

This afternoon,swapped them for this lot.. :D

Picture229Small.jpg

Picture230Small.jpg

..from someone I know through work,who has timber"grazing rights" from several of the local farmers - the large bit on top is ash,2' across,9" thick;most of the rest is sycamore in 10" diameter pieces,some poplar and silver birch.And I can go back whenever I want (he has already tempted me with the offer of some damson and sumach.. 8) )
And he keeps bees as well - the carrier bag in the bottom right is full of beeswax :D

Andrew

Watch that Sumach if it's fresh... it exudes a sticky sap from the cambium

It generally has a central pith which can limit it's usage for some things but the contrast of the annular rings is one of its redeeming features :wink:

Crackin' shape to that apple Andrew, not as easy to do as some folks think.

TEP":2n4pwjhs said:
Crackin' shape to that apple Andrew, not as easy to do as some folks think.

I can vouch for that. :cry: I have yet to do any fruit that doesn't look like something that Picasso would use as a model.

Pete

Spent a couple of hours this morning slicing,sealing and stacking last weekends haul,then went into the workshop and made this :-

Picture126Small.jpg

Picture127Small.jpg

Sweet chestnut,120mm max.diameter,120mm high,waxed.Made it as the donor of the sweet chestnut is due shortly with some more,so thought it would be nice to be able to give him something made from his own tree.
Getting a bit better at hollowing,the walls are a fairly consistent 3-4mm,base a bit thicker - but still takes me twice as long as making a bowl twice the size.. :(

Andrew

Nice one Andrew, that should secure future supplies :wink:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the hollowing taking a little longer... more time to enjoy the experience :wink:

Ps
I like the vessel :lol:

Impressive work Andrew. I can imagine that it's a tricky process doing the hollowing.

Nice shape too.

Mornin' Andrew. I agree with Graham, time turning don't matter as long as you are enjoying yourself. Speed comes with practice, but as long as your doing turning for pleasure, what the heck. Take as much time as you need.

Very nice Andrew :D
Nice shape and wood.

Powertool wrote
but still takes me twice as long as making a bowl twice the size..
Another way to look at it is if you had started doing hollow forms at the beginning then you're bowl turning would be slow now :shock:

Made another timber rack this morning (the third so far - the others are now full.. 8) ) to fill up an otherwise useless,north-facing awkward corner:-

Picture132Small-1.jpg

then went back to trying to fill up the fruit bowl..

Picture130Small.jpg

a pear in idigbo (bottoms too flat,but it sits well.. :wink: )

Picture136Small-2.jpg

an apple in padauk,with a small bit of sapwood on

Picture137Small-1.jpg

and some padauk cherries,finished in oil to give them a deeper colour..

Picture140Small.jpg

..then used some green garden wire as stalks.

Andrew

Well executed apple and cherries, me old fruit... yep, the pear sits well :lol:

Bodrighy":2t4r9kk3 said:
I must learn to turn fruit that look like fruit.
Pete

Enough to give you the pip ain't it Pete, nicely executed turnout Andrew.

Easy, Chas, it's OK if he has the zest for it :lol:

Stoned fruit are the easiest, just depends on the supply of Laphroaigh :wink:

oldsoke":1h2r0ecg said:
.....Stoned fruit are the easiest, just depends on the supply of Laphroaigh :wink:

10/10 Graham 'fraid a day helping shepherd three pre teen individuals around warwick castle for the day left me unable to to follow your in depth analysis of production complexity achievement in real time. :lol:

I am sure Andrew like the rest of us, apreciates your input to this absorbing world.

Back