One of those days.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lardman

Established Member
Reaction score
They don't visit very often but when the 'fluff' up fairies do come round they really do enjoy themselves. :(

I picked up some redwood last week to make a simple bedside table, 1 drawer halfway down - nothing complex. I knew it wasn't going to be a good day when I ripped the tip of my finger on a staple (I do wish the TY wouldn't use them !)

Looking at the 44mm stuff I really wish Id have gone to B&Q instead, twists, large dead knots and resin pockets - just how bad can joinery grade be? I managed to get 4 reasonably straight lengths for the legs but so much wastage.

Gluing up the drawer with the 19x120mm banana wood I managed to shatter the handles on 2 of my quick clamps, not the pins that I could have fixed but the actual body of the handle. Ok they were cheap plastic ones and I was probably putting too much force on them but still.... I swore a lot and moved onto the top. Chamfering this I managed to catch a large knot with my bit and I've chipped a good size chunk out of one of the wings, again only a cheap cutter from a set but annoying especially as I was half way round, I finished cutting but was left with a rather fuzzy finish.

The last thing I did was to assemble and glue everything up. I've just been and taken the clamps off to sand and finish it. :cry: I can live with the fact its not perfectly square, but I've only gone and glued one corner of the drawer 6mm lower than the other 3. :oops: I don't think I've ever binned an entire project but I shall be using this one on Nov 5th to sit proudly atop of my bonfire !

Hopefully this gesture will appease the 'fluff' up fairies and they will leave me in peace. :?:

Back