One of those days.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep one of those days,first one for a while though. :shock:
There was me yesterday giving advice on how to try and stop your logs from cracking/splitting.
So i thought i'd better check the ones i'd prepared.
Low and behold they all,well most seem to have decided to split :roll:
Checked them last week and they were fine not a single hairline split to be found.Today huge crevices :cry:
So panic stations set in,thought i'd better try and save what i could,in the hope that some will close back up :roll:
Brought them all into the WS,and started turning them,rounding them off taking some of the middles out to try and relieve the tension,which was building up in me though. :(
Done all the outsides,no problem,started doing the insides using me Bowl gouge when PING 2 chunks broke off the gouge.Re- ground it,seemed to take forever,carried on when the locking lever on me toolrest decided to pack up,same trouble that Pete had a few weeks ago just spinning round.
So took that one out and used the one from the tailstock.Fine could carry on. :)
Going great guns when PING the same happened again to the gouge.
Re- ground and managed to finish.Just have to wait and see now if all the effort was worth it. :oops:
That's me moan over :roll:
Paul.J.

What you turning Paul? It sounds like timber off the battle ground. Full of nails and bullets.

On the subject of drying wood, I try to decide what I'm going to make with the wood once dried, so I cut it into the right sized blanks when wet. I make a few rush topped stools so I would cut the logs into 45mm sq. x whatever length, wax the ends and the stuff is ready to turn in about 9 months. AND no splits, well nearly never. I hardly ever leave it in log form any more.

It saves a lot of the problems your having now. Not the gouge and handle though :twisted:

You have my fullest empathy Paul. Been there done that got the splattered T shirt :lol: Does sound as though you have a nail or something in the wood, either that or a defect in the metal of your gouge.

Pete

TEP wrote
What you turning Paul? It sounds like timber off the battle ground. Full of nails and bullets.
No Tam.It was all prepared ready for turning,just waiting for it to dry.It turned lovely. :D
Mind you this lot was just put to dry naturally,as most of what i've got i've meth dried now,just a little experiment that's gone wrong somewhere :?

Bodrighy wrote
Does sound as though you have a nail or something in the wood, either that or a defect in the metal of your gouge.
Pete there were just 2 tiny little Knots in the wood when the gouge broke out :?: Just can't see see that been the problem as it was cutting through bigger knots like butter :?: :?:
Paul.J.

Knots can be real****'s. Look at the grain in them, if you can see it at all. Have you ever noticed when sanding, even power sanding, how the knots will often stand proud because they are so hard they don't abrade as easily as the surrounding wood. Often, the smaller they are the denser they are.

Pete

Hmm - bad day at the workshop :(
Had bits of timber chip off,but never any bits of chisel :shock:

Hope you have better luck next turning time,Paul.

Andrew

Hi Paul

Gut reaction - I know nothing about stressed or breaking metal! - but for bits to actually break off.......something is definitely wrong, badly and dangerously, with that chisel.

May I suggest you bin it, or get a refund/replacement if it's a newish one? The thought of nasty sharp fractured bits of metal flying around you is not a good image!

Made me shiver just typing that!

Powertool wrote
Hope you have better luck next turning time,Paul.
Thanks Andrew.

Greybeard wrote
May I suggest you bin it, or get a refund/replacement if it's a newish one?
I only bought it last November time,it was the subject of my first posting on here,due to digging in.It is a Record CH602-3/8 Deep Bowl Gouge,from D&M.
I will phone them tomorrow.
I think you may be right as the break outs were in the same place,and same size :?:
I tried to take a piccy but couldn't get a clear enough one to post.
Paul.J.

Good link Bob, never occurred to me that the tool could be defective. My apologies Paul I thought you were trying to turn nails/fence wire. :oops:

Been there and done that myself, also ruined a almost new chainsaw chain on a embedded nail. £40, it broke my heart. :roll:

Bobham wrote
It gives a couple of pointers for telling the difference between edge chipping from overstressing the steel and manufacturing defects.
Thanks for that Bob.
Looking at those diagrams i would say that both the chipouts,both times are questionable.
Just seemed strange how they were in the same place and same shape :!: :!:
Could it be anything to do with my grinding,i use a waterstone. :?:
Paul.J.

Mornin' Paul, just a thought, if you're grinding your edge very fine (acute) there may not be much strength left. Have seen a edge bend slightly when one bloke said that he thought it would cut easier if it was sharper. His 'sharper' was an angle more like a woodworkers chisel than a woodturners gouge.

I don't think what type of stone you use would have anything to do with it. IMO

What gouge were you using and what was the over hand of the tool over the rest. For logs when roughing down I prefer a 1/2" bowl gouge its one of the strongest tools with a small cutting section so can take the stress.

Morning Tam :D
Russel wrote
What gouge were you using and what was the over hand of the tool over the rest.
Russel i was using a Record CH602 3/8 Bowl gouge,bought last November.I'd only just started cutting into the blank when it chipped out.
The angle is about 50-60 degrees.Is this correct :?:
Paul.J.

The angle is about 50-60 degrees.Is this correct :?:

Sounds OK to me Paul, just another thought that had leapt into my head. I'm a bit slow in the mornings, something to do with going into semi hibernation during the night :lol:

Looks like this may be one of those happenings that disappear into the dim clouds of mystery :-k I just find it unusual for that to happen to a gouge if it hasn't hit something buried inside the timber.

TEP wrote
I just find it unusual for that to happen to a gouge if it hasn't hit something buried inside the timber.
Yep so do i Tam,but it also happened on two different bowls.
So judging by some of the comments this sort of thing shouldn't happen.
It did get used quite a lot yesterday,20 bowls,so would heat build up have anything to do with it :?
Some good news,i think,it looks like most of the splits and cracks have now closed back up,just 5 that are still quite biggish.So if they stay like that it was worth the effort :D
Paul.J.

Paul if those cracks are still closed try and get some thin super glue into them. It might help stabilise the wood.

It did get used quite a lot yesterday,20 bowls,so would heat build up have anything to do with it

There ain't nothing that you could turn that would heat a HSS tool up enough to cause it to chip, no matter how fast a turner you are. UAKD

Have you mentioned this problem with the tool to Record, they used to have a decent tech. help department.

TEP wrote
Have you mentioned this problem with the tool to Record, they used to have a decent tech. help department.
No not yet Tam,though i did get it from D&M Tools.
I was waiting for replies to see if it was something i was doing wrong.
TEP wrote
Paul if those cracks are still closed try and get some thin super glue into them. It might help stabilise the wood.
Not sure what you meanTam.Some of the cracks have closed right up.

Some more good news is that Axminster have sent me some new locking levers out for the lathe,better than the ones that were on the lathe,as requested.Did offer to pay the difference but they wouldn't have it :D
So we'll see tomorrow,if they arrive.
Paul.J.

TEP wrote
Not sure what you meanTam.Some of the cracks have closed right up.

Even if the cracks are closed the thin super glue will seep into the hair line, it would help to keep it all together. Don't forget that timber moves all the time, so they could easily open again. Mind you, you need to make up your mind whether the wood is worth the expense of using the glue.

TEP wrote
thin super glue
How do you thin it or is this just normal sg straight out the bottle.
Also Tam what does UAKD mean :?
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back