one last job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
Any one out there built their own coffin ?
Any ideas for plans ?

Regards

'Sue'

I thought I had better mention I will hopefully not need it for quite some time.

Funnily enough Dave123 and I discussed this at the European (and at Ickworth).
We came to the conclusion that it would be a waste to use good timber only to bury or burn it, so it was likely to be pallet wood or orange boxes (if they still make them).
I'm sure there has to be some H&S rules around them (not for the occupant) - anybody know?

Glynne

We ( Glynne and I that is ) where standing next to a coffin very similar to the one in your picture Pete when we where discussing it. Very well made....still prefer an orange box :D

An old sack bag will do me, pop me under beside an old Oak tree and just maybe in a few hundred years I might be part of a bookcase or dinning table. :eek:ccasion5:

My father and grandfather were both shipwrights but use to make coffins as a side line. Think they used to use elm. I always remember the silk linings that came in big bags.

Oh my dad also used to dig graves and be a pall bearer.

I did make a casket for someone's ashes from Iroko, its buried in a back garden now.

Pete

I looked into this for a customers enquiry a while ago. There are plenty of plans on the internet if you do a search. Biggest problem is the cost of the handles if you can get them! most of the suppliers of the fittings will only sell to the 'trade' and the prices are extortionate! HTH.

Hi

That's got to be some business to be in - handle supply that is! Don't the handles get emoved before the casket goes into the fire? Wonder where they go then :shock:

Regards Mick

Whatever is cheapest has always been my instruction. The pallet idea strikes a chord, where to keep the thing though? I know...on end in the shop and fill it with shelves full of planes!

I've always said just freeze me and push me through a woodchipper.

Funeral costs do seem a tad on the steep side and yet people are dying to have one.

I've got my coat thanks.

I mentioned this to my wife and she'd read that some local crematoriums (or is that crematoria) are now refusing to take eco-friendly coffins as they evidently have too much moisture and this affects the burners!
I still reckon there have to be some health regulations unless you can get hermetically sealed in a bag and then go into your DIY coffin.

The willow coffin may be made by English Willow Baskets on the Somerset levels. Last time I went I chatted to the owner who tells me that demand for willow coffins is increasing from the green fraternity. If you have a chance visit - they have a free museum and the diversity of things made from willow (including baskets!) is quite incredible - as a material it seems light and very strong when properly woven.

FWIW I have no connection with the company.

Did you know according to the law you can be buried anywhere if you own the land, even in your back garden if you want. All you have to do is notify the council. Oh yes and have a valid death certificate to prove you haven't committed a murder. :wink:

Dangermouse":his7jeub said:
Did you know according to the law you can be buried anywhere if you own the land, even in your back garden if you want.

Blimey, don't tell my wife that - she'll probably just lob me on the compost heap when I snuff it :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The humanist have them made from cardboard papier mache' type stuff which appeals to me to save about 40 square foot of decent (?) timber. If you're serious, I can tell you how we made them from elm bottom and jap oak lid and sides. but i guess a visit to you're local funeral parlour would put you straight! Regards Rodders

I'm planning to build a casket-style case for my banjo, a bit like this one (the plans were online somewhere):
BanjoCase3.JPG

But you probably wouldn't fit in that unless you're really small...

Attachments

• BanjoCase3.JPG
    BanjoCase3.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 70
Hi coffinmakers,,,,
A few years back a friend of ours found he had cancer and had only got about a year left,,,so being a jobbing builder and a really nice bloke he decided to build his own coffin,, he used a variety of timber left over from jobs over the past few years , which he said would be nice because he would be taking bits of jobs he enjoyed doing along with him.
He had instructed that he was to be conveyed to the crematorium in the buck of his old Toyota Hilux and that wish was carried out and it was a good send-off.
Just an odd story but seemed suitable if you are considering making your own coffin,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back