on the other side

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrac

Established Member
Reaction score
isn't alway the same there are products out there that are not available to you in this country that you just want. For me its the carvewright that is available in the US This machine just looks fun

http://www.carvewright.com/

Safety wise its got to be the worlds safest table saw
http://www.sawstop.com/

Hopefully one day shortly both in a shop by you?

Hi Dave

Linda, who used to post regularly on scrolling matters, has a Carvewright. She created a thread about it here.

Sadly, Linda doesn't visit us as regularly as she once did :( , but if you want to discuss it with her you should be able to contact her through her website or email. She's still as friendly and helpful as ever :) .

Gill

I was eyeing up the CarveWright about 12 months ago and thought it looked like a lot of fun.

Maybe I should go into production with my own MDF machine and target the UK market - It should pretty much be able to build another one of itself if I can work out how to program it right, and I've discovered that Isaac Lord sell the massive drawer slides I used at a reasonable price.

yes I looked closely at buying the CarveWright. I think it is a fantastic machine.

Going into production with the FecnCNC is a great idea Fecn. One thing that attracts me to the CarveWright is the apparent ease of use. The software seems silly person proof. You would probably have to do some work on the software side to make is commercially available, or perhaps ship it with Mach2/3.

If on the other hand you want to make one-off commissions for forum members....... :D

I'd definitely be interested in a FecnCNC machine, but the software would have to be completely silly person proof :lol: .

Have a chat with the loacl council, Fecn - there might be someone who can help you source more durable (and possibly cheaper) components. You might have a commercially viable product there.

Gill

I've been thinking of building a small CNC router to do fancy joints, like isoloc. Can the carvewright replace a dovetail jig, as well as carve?

I think any small affordable (sub £500) CNC machine or atleast a kit version would do really well. Even for doing things like signs and wood 'art' I can see it being quite a useful tool. If you could hook it up to some kind of scanner, you would have a great replicater for mouldings and carvings.

If you could make a CNC machine that could easily do everything a top of the range dovetail jig, then my view is it is worth double the dovetail jig.

thinking about it, could you automate/CNC a woodrat?

Wow that Sawstop is something else. I saw a clip of this machine months ago but figured is was fake. I thought it was a prank or photographic trickery but their web site proves me to be wrong. I wonder how long it will be before its mandatory under EU H&S rules.

As for the Carvewright again its very interesting but how much does it cost?

Opps to answer my own question I've just found the price. Sorry, didn't see that before $1899 but when these thing get imported, despite the strong pound the price tends to stay the same but the $ sign changes to £ and £1899 for it is way too much don't you think?

p111dom":2unpzsmo said:
Wow that Sawstop is something else. I saw a clip of this machine months ago but figured is was fake. I thought it was a prank or photographic trickery but their web site proves me to be wrong. I wonder how long it will be before its mandatory under EU H&S rules.

As for the Carvewright again its very interesting but how much does it cost?

The carvewright costs $1899.99 which is £930.77 at todays exchange rate of .49!

The company tried to make the sawstop mandatory under US law and failed it seems that trying to achieve this really upset the other companies producing table saws in the USA hence why it has not taken off yet

Yeh bit they're not going to sell it for £930.77 are they. I recon you would be luck to get it for anywhere near £1500. Take Woodpeckers with all the unilift products. Nearly all of them are sold for the same numerical value here as in the US despite the fact that the current exchange rate should make them half the price in Stirling ie table inserts for $99 sold in the UK for £99 etc

Back