Olive Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Last night I went to another GAW meeting(Gloucestershire Association Woodturners). They were selling some Chestnut products so I got to ask about their foodsafe finish. I mentioned that I used olive oil to finish most items. Somebody said that I shouldn't use olive oil because it goes off and can be dangerous.

I've read about olive oil going off but have never had the problem myself. I've also read about the smell affecting the food (again no problems before). I had never thought about the danger side of things though. I know it's very dangerous to re-bottle your live oil with extra things in i.e. chilli; the risk is from botulism.

So, is olive oil safe or not?

Cheers,

Dave

some food based oils oxidise in the air and can form a surface that is rancid and could possible taint food. It is highly unlikely that anything serious would happen but when I supply work to other people I ask if they will be using it for food if so I use Chestnuts food safe finish. If not I tell them its not suitable for food use but if they want to put fruit or something in then I suggest they put kitchen roll in the base first. I always supply a certificate describing how to care for the piece and put whether its suitable for food use on that. You may think I am paranoid but in today's litigious society you have to be sure.

Olive oil is a non drying oil and can go rancid but it will take a long, long time. You could use walnut oil from the supermarket (without any form of antioxidant) this will dry and is perfectly food safe.

i use mineral oil (medical grade - avaiable from the vet or chemist ) for food items - it is cheap safe and gives a beautiful feel to the wood - it does not really dry - but that is not reall a problem - walnut oil is food safe but suffers from the nut allergy issue - olive / sunflower etc do go rancid apparently but agin i have no experience of this ....

Hi all.

I've been watching this topic, and have tried some of the oils mentioned, but has anyone come across the oiled item staining what ever it is stood on. I've had a couple of stains and that's after letting the pieces stand to dry for over a week. Since then I have given up using these oils.

MIGNAL":2385yuwy said:
Olive oil is a non drying oil and can go rancid but it will take a long, long time. You could use walnut oil from the supermarket (without any form of antioxidant) this will dry and is perfectly food safe.

Would walnut oil be food safe where nut allergies are concerned? I made a chopping board recently and considered walnut oil and then dumped the idea because of percieved danger to those afflicted with nut allergies.

Ahh Geoff just read your post properly. Missed that before. Getting coat now.

Cheers Mike

Tep Oils cause staining because they don't all dry properly pure oils often do not dry Walnut does but takes a long time. Oils feel dry because the surface oxidises but it can still react with a finish it is put on often staining or picking up a colour.

Other products that are called oils such as finishing oil danish oil etc are blends of chemicals oil like in nature but these contain driers that allow the finish to dry out and thus become inert. However these "oils" are not food safe. As far as I am aware Chestnuts food safe finish is the only branded product that has been approved in the UK for food use. A lot of products will say they are child safe but they are not food safe it is a different standard they comply too.

Thanks for that Russell, haven't tried the 'Chestnut Food Safe Finish' but will get some as soon as and give it a go.

Better than getting grief if someone gets bad from using one of my plates.

Back