Using walnut oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT101

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I've been looking at some natural oils to finish wood, in my case oak. It's an oak apple press, so needs to be food grade and stand up to the elements somewhat. I've read a lot about Hemp and Tung oil, but there seems to be a lot less info on Walnut oil, application, duration etc.

So some general questions.

Firstly, is edible supermarket bought walnut oil as good as refined walnut oil (aside from the allergy problems). i.e. is it a drying oil that forms a protective barrier like the refined stuff?

Secondly, how durable is it for occasional outside use?

Third, how often would you need to reapply?

And finally whats the general procedure for applying walnut oil, refined or raw?

Thanks

I's a food safe drying oil. I've used it on carved wooden spoons, bowls and plates, using the supermarket ones, they taste great in salad dressings too ! :)

Takes a few weeks to cure, needs to be put on in thin coats and wiped off thoroughly to avoid a sticky build up.

Doubt it would be durable outdoors at all, I've switched to tung oil for most of my wooden stuff as I find it seals better and gives a, relatively, more durable finish.

For an oak apple press I might not bother with an oil treatment though to be honest, not sure there would be any great advantage to it for that timber and application ?

Back