OLD MACHINE RENOVATION

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_Price

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been given an old Scheppach HM2 Kombi machine ( which has spent some time outdoors!).
Its a project i really fancy doing, getting the old gal up and running like new but my first problem is the biggest!... The Motor!
I plugged it in and hit the power but it immediately tripped. I confess I know nothing about motors. Of any kind. At all.
Someone told me it its tripping the power it might not necaserially be the motor but i don't know where to begin!

Should i get someone to test it ? remove it and take it somewhere to get re wound? buy a new motor and if so where from?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Will

A machine like that is constructed from thin steel so if the rust has got to it badly, it might be done in, unless you have access to welding equipment, has it been thoroughly dried out, as there may be water in the motor?

Adidat

It could be the power supply.Is the machine suitable for a 13 amp supply?I know some of the bigger motors need a 16 amp supply
Or is the breaker in the consumer unit the correct type? I dont know a lot about this but i know their is different rated breakers of the same amps and some of them designed for higher amp start up. Hope this makes sense. Im sure someone will be able to tell you better than i can but i would check this out first good luck.

If its spent time outdoors in wet conditions the electrics are probably useless and for gods sake don't plug it in again. Its very dangerous to get a thing like this and just plug it in to see what happens. At the least it will trip out your electrics or at worst kill you.
If this has been left outside for a long time and is rusty and the electrics don't work, Its going to cost a LOT to put it working. If you want to restore a PT try one of the old cast iron jobs you see on ebay.

Okay thanks guys ill start looking into it. I think im going to get someone to test the engine even if it costs a few quid . its been in my workshop for months now so must be dry. the beds are rusty but they do seem to clean up nice. I did turn it on by pushing the button with a big long stick im all about health and saftey! :D

Setting an HM2 Kombi......I am going to post an easy guide to setting up the blades and tables shortly, if you cannot bear to wait....sell me your rusticle... :wink:

Latest posts

Back