Old and new lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intarsia

Reaction score
Hey all....

Even after 8 months i am still gutted my lathe (axminster Perform) gave birth to some flames from the motor (it died) so i thought i need a new motor for it but i got no skill on how to install a new motor so i did nothing for the 8 months....
But it just grinds on me that it is not working and that i just can't turn a few blanks...... So i am looking into buying a new lathe but not as long anymore as i just didn't do those sizes.

I am looking at the Jet 1220 but i would like to know if that beauty can take up to 2 kg blocks of wood.... anyone got a Jet mini lathe and got good experience with it?

Danny

Danny Do you not have any friends that can help you fit anew motor far cheaper than a new lathe. Contact axminster for the cost of a new motor. Regards Roger C

I have a Jet Mini and it's great. I've not tured anything big on it though. Mostly pens and small stuff so can't comment on anything larger.

Its a pity your down south I would have helped you change the motor but if you get a new motor and the connections are the same just connect like for like if it helps take a photo of the connections first .

Matt

Have you asked Axminster if they could supply and fit a new motor for you at their Sittingbourne branch? - it's only just down the road from you.

The Jet mini is a good little lathe but it is limited in size and power so I wouldn't try and turn anything as big as you suggest personally. I use mine for small stuff up to about 8 - 9 inches diameter and 10" long. I find doing rustic things it is easy to stop the motor due to the low power as well so if you want to turn bigger or off centre work I would advise you go for the biggest you can afford. Worth looking at 2nd hand as there are often bargains to be had.

Pete

Hello...

Perhaps the two kilo is a bit too much of the amount i like to use but this year is hopefully going
to be good in making mushrooms like the attached picture.... the diameter of it is 15 cm (6 inches) and less than 1 kg when i started.....
I had them made on my old lathe a Axminster perform lathe and saw a Jet 1014 in action on something similar i like to use in the future.

Thank you for looking
Mushroom-21_zpsc123c2a6.jpg

Latest posts

Back