OK.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had heard that you folk were having snow problems and checked it out on the BBC website. Looked to me like less than a foot piled on surfaces and I could actually see the roads. Now we have been fortunate this year and have yet to get a real Bruce county snowfall. As we live in the deep dark countryside next to Lake Huron , 1 foot of snow is not uncommon for me to find in my driveway come the morning. In the worst instances we can have drifts on each side of the drive over my head ... making it hard to shovel as you must fling it 7 or 8 feet up as well as any side to side direction to clear the darn drift. I'm aware that this snow you have gotten is a hardship amigos , but while you dig yourselves out just be thankful that it is not a daily thing. Trust me when I say that it can wear on the patience. Hope you get nicer weather soon amigos

lanemaux":lr0dfln6 said:
Looked to me like less than a foot piled on surfaces and I could actually see the roads.

Ahh yes, but this is British Snow which must be special as it never fails to bring the Country to a grinding halt. Other sorts of Snow pail in comparison, trust me, 3 inches of the stuff and you'd be knackered too. :wink:

Studders , you should see the stuff they get in Georgia . I watched a car catastrophe on the news from a US of A station out of Atlanta Ga. where I not only had a hard time spotting the snow, the trees had leaves which were bare of it. Admittedly ice is a queer concept there ,but really, go slow when you don't know might serve them well.Picture if you will the Ice Capades as performed by a thoroughly drunken cast with suicidal tendencies . This was a few years back and I can still see that chevy lazily spinning into a random stack of previous victims... priceless.

studders":jl2z4ws1 said:
lanemaux":jl2z4ws1 said:
Looked to me like less than a foot piled on surfaces and I could actually see the roads.

Ahh yes, but this is British Snow which must be special as it never fails to bring the Country to a grinding halt. Other sorts of Snow pail in comparison, trust me, 3 inches of the stuff and you'd be knackered too. :wink:

Thing is we have this debate every year, comparison with Scandinavia etc, why aren't we better prepared etc. We could invest zillions and it still won't be any better quite simply because we are an extremely overcrowded little island. For every 10 Finns trying to drive down the road, we have 100. Rush hour trains in the SE operate on a knife-edge....just way too many people.

What, almost, made me laugh Rog was that we have had gritting lorries going round at night almost everyday for the last week, except for..... I'll leave you to guess what night they didn't grit.

No snow down here, going to an M & S sale this morning, you might have one up your way.

Back in the roaring 40's when we went to school we regularly had slides in the playground in November, so I dont know what all the fuss is about these days. I suppose its television, we didnt have it then so things were not blown up with topical news.

Wish there was no sonw up here. It's becoming a bit of a problem now.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

studders":3vbbwi7b said:
I have sufficient wind without drinking that muck unless it is heavily watered down with Scotch. :wink:

That's not the coke I meant- you said white stuff. 8)

With regard to snowy conditions in Canada and Scandinavialand, yes we do have different snow here. Apart from the above mentioned number of vehicles etc in UK, I'll wager that the snow in Canada/Scand is fairly dry snow. By that I mean that once it falls, it stays as snow and doesnt enter into a vicious melting/refreezing cycle every night. And this is something that certainly happens over here.
Plus having frequent, constant, expected heavy snow falls will focus the mind of both individuals and nations on how to tackle such conditions.

Having said that, there really are some numpties around here who grump and moan at a heavy frost. And similarly there are authorities that dont seem to have contingencies for when the unexpected does happen...

Mind you, I love the photo of the garden table p111dom :)

Adam S

Well I tried to go to the shop today but couldn't get the car out! My neighbour did manage to get out but got stuck around the corner and had to dig his way out. He has just returned back home. We have about 1 foot of snow over the Cul-de-sac and out onto the next two streets. Will see what tomorrow brings. :roll:

I wonder if the people of Canadia and other countries snowier than our own have a higher number of 4x4's per person than we do in this Sceptic Isle?

Our own Government seems to be trying to tax 4x4 owners off the road under the misguided reason of "climate change" :evil:

I quite enjoyed having the roads to myself earlier this year.

More snow please!

Coat on, engine running. :lol:

theartfulbodger":hm295gse said:
I wonder if the people of Canadia and other countries snowier than our own have a higher number of 4x4's per person than we do in this Sceptic Isle?

Our own Government seems to be trying to tax 4x4 owners off the road under the misguided reason of "climate change" :evil:

I quite enjoyed having the roads to myself earlier this year.

More snow please!

Coat on, engine running. :lol:

Absolutely. Ban 2 wheel drive cars when it's snowing!

I would say that in the cities of Canada we do have more 4 by 4's Than most countries. Trouble is that they are wasted the rest of the year as grocery getters. That said , we in the wild lands or rural areas USE our pickup trucks. Mine is not 4 wheel drive as I do not own my own farm , but there is seldom not at least 500lbs. of something or other I am moving from A to B. Just the nature of the area. And the extra weight does come in handy in the white stuff. Most of my near neighbors use an even surer system than 4 wheeling, 4 legging. Horsepower that can be counted by counting noses. Rather amazing how well a horse gets through snow hip high on us. Seldom seen a stuck Mennonite family on the road.

Back