Oil Stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTR":3jxcy63e said:
jimi43":3jxcy63e said:
You don't have to use a "slurry stone" but it is usual to create a slurry this way...most full stone retailers provide a slurry stone as an option. It is a small piece of the same stone.

It is not absolutely necessary...indeed...on the Charnley Forest hone that I have...the slurry is created by the simple movement of the edge over the stone and rapidly produces a very fine slurry which improves the speed of cutting.

By the sound of it...the stone that you have, if it catches on cloth...is relatively course and the crystals are embedded in the substrate rock

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try to find another chunk of charnley, the stone itself came from a boot sale. Of course I've tried honing a tool in the normal fashion but it does nothing; no slurry, no effect on the tool. It just pushes the oil around.

This wasn't the stone that catches on the cloth btw, that was a coarse India. This stone is very smooth to the touch.

It's probably a finishing hone of some sort...very very fine and hard. You will find that it does actually work...but you have to hone the edge to very near completion. This will just polish the edge. Are you using it with water or oil?

If it's one of the hones which is traditionally best with water you will have great difficulty removing oil from it after it is applied. There is plenty of information on the subject on the Net which will steer you in the right direction and some excellent books.

There is much fun to be had researching this intriguing subject...including the history and origin of some of the best stones....like the Turkey stones, Belgian coticules....Thuringians and Eshers.

Indeed, Britain has produced many fine local stones in most areas and some are highly collectible. The unpredictable nature of natural stones is part of their fascination....even stones from the same quarry vary considerably but you will know when you get a good one!

Bootfairs are excellent sources of fine stones....most of mine came to me that way for little money. Most people don't know the difference between a bog standard man-made stone and fine natural stones and so you can get some really great bargains. FleaBay used to be that way but people are getting wise to the difference and now, fine vintage stones command near market prices.

Thanks for sharing your example...I love learning about these natural treasures.

Jim

jimi43":kphh2035 said:
Bleedin' NORA!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Someone's snip engine went AWOL there...£65 to just over two grand in a few seconds....

Not so - there were TWO people bidding at the same kind of level. (just) one person willing to bid high doesn't result in a high price at auction.

I have no idea (wish I did) what drove the value, but it appears to be real.

BugBear

bugbear":199yizkk said:
jimi43":199yizkk said:
Bleedin' NORA!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Someone's snip engine went AWOL there...£65 to just over two grand in a few seconds....

Not so - there were TWO people bidding at the same kind of level. (just) one person willing to bid high doesn't result in a high price at auction.

I have no idea (wish I did) what drove the value, but it appears to be real.

BugBear

I have no idea what went wrong BB....but i can guarantee...that price cannot possibly be what they are worth....I can't recall seeing hones at that price anywhere....

I do have two hones like it though...anyone interested? I will go for £500 each for quick sale! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":2yzl3k64 said:
I have no idea what went wrong BB....but i can guarantee...that price cannot possibly be what they are worth....I can't recall seeing hones at that price anywhere....

Some Japanese waterstones can go a good deal higher than that.

There are 7 waterstones on eBay right now at over 3000 dollars.

BugBear

Back