Oil finish for a bed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymaker

Reaction score
I'm coming to the end of a project making a bed. My usual finish of choice is Danish oil so that's what I'd like to use. I am a little reserved about using it on the internal surfaces of the beds frame however because I know that some oils can become rancid in enclosed spaces such as linseed oil and tung oil. Can anyone advise as to weather this may happen with Danish oil?

Like Phil said. Don't forget that it has been around for quite a long time and was used commercially on rather a lot of furniture.

Andymaker":3chaqzqc said:
...I know that some oils can become rancid in enclosed spaces such as linseed oil and tung oil.
That would be more sitting liquid in a bottle or can, drying oils such as linseed and tung don't go rancid once rubbed into wood because they react with oxygen to form a new compound rather than being degraded by oxygen.

Danish oil is a mixture of oil and varnish with additional spirits and the resins have an odour of their own. So most versions of DO have a fairly characteristic 'finish smell' which is not like that of the base oil(s).

Back