Oh Happy Days!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
I found out today that I have been offered the job I have been chasing for over two years. I am going to be an Air Traffic Controller! I am exstatic. For some reason, they have decided to invest £600,000 in my training :? :?: . So it is a move down to Bournemouth for me, and possibly Prestwick in three years time. Money is a bit rubbish to begin with, but in about 5 years I will probably be able to afford Festool kit!

Sorry to bore you with this news, but I am so pleased. :D

Simon

That is fantastic news. The very best of luck. I know I couldn't do it!

Many years ago I worked for Logica and we developed a simulator for air traffic control training purposes. It just kept ratcheting up the load on the stacks...and then added more planes...and then threw in a Declaring an Emergency for good measure. Talk about pressure.

Nice one - just remember to stay off the pop the night before you are on duty!!!

Cheers

Karl

Congratulations Simon,
The controllers always got my greatest respect at Heathrow as I passed through the darkened control room,

Cheers nigel

It's the railways for me from now on! :lol:
Only kidding, the very best of luck, not an average run of the mill job is that!

Roy.

Well done that man, I remember failing the medical for that job when I left school, many years ago, looked a very good job.

Simon - nicely done. As Philly says, if you're going to be local for a bit it's a good chance to have a goof round some 'shops down this way...Waka's is a good place to see one or two odds and ends :wink: of Festool kit :lol: - Rob

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

I applied in January last year and got through to the final stage of selection before failing the interview. Apparently most people fail the first time though. The selection process was pretty grueling. Lots of computer, spacial awareness and apptidute tests followed by a 2 hour interview. I have 10 months at the Air Traffic college in Bournemouth, then a posting to a unit. Of course, this means at least a year without a workshop :shock: .

It would be great to see some of you guys and your workshops down south.

Once again, thanks.

Congratulations. I am pretty sure that is not a job I could do.
Very well done and all the best with the training.
Best wishes.

SF

Simon,

Many congratulations: you must be chuffed.

Have you heard the record of David Gunson's (ex air traffic controller) after dinner speeches? Very funny! PM me and I'll transfer it to CD if you like.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I came across David Gunson during my many hours of reasearch. Hilarious!

On the subject of me having no workshop for a while, there will be several machines coming up for sale here within a month or so. If you are after a tablesaw, planer, bandsaw, lathe, thicknesser etc. Watch this space. :cry:

Well done Simon. They don't recruit idiots for that job. Beware pilots winding you up - I plead guilty to that one.

In the RAF we used to practise radio failure. When this happens the "carrier wave" is often still available so that if you press the "transmit" button the ATC can hear a "click". To attract the controllers attention you do 4 x clicks to alert them to your presence. They then ask if a speechless arircraft is calling and ask you to respond with 1 x click for "yes", 2 x clicks for "no", and 3 x clicks for "say again". Then they allocate you the callsign of "speechless 1" and ask you a series of questions, like "is this a practise?", "do you have a further emergency" (invariably "yes"), "are you on fire?", "can you maintain height", "do you have a medical problem" etc, with all questions being answered with the appropriate number of clicks.

When I was flying Jet Provosts from Cranwell in the early 1970's 8 of us colluded to return to base simultaneously - all with simulated radio failure - so the poor s** in the tower was controlling 8 aircraft, none of which could speak to him, and with call signs "speechless 1" to "speechless 8". Three of us had practise engine failures and couldn't maintain height, one had a stuck open throttle and couldn't slow down, one had flaps stuck down and couldn't accelerate, and I had a swarm of bees in the cockpit and was periodically flying erratically. You could hear the controllers voice becoming more and more shrill as the stress levels were ramped up without mercy. What fun! :) :) :)

RogerM":370fc099 said:
Well done Simon. They don't recruit idiots for that job. Beware pilots winding you up - I plead guilty to that one.

In the RAF we used to practise radio failure. When this happens the "carrier wave" is often still available so that if you press the "transmit" button the ATC can hear a "click". To attract the controllers attention you do 4 x clicks to alert them to your presence. They then ask if a speechless arircraft is calling and ask you to respond with 1 x click for "yes", 2 x clicks for "no", and 3 x clicks for "say again". Then they allocate you the callsign of "speechless 1" and ask you a series of questions, like "is this a practise?", "do you have a further emergency" (invariably "yes"), "are you on fire?", "can you maintain height", "do you have a medical problem" etc, with all questions being answered with the appropriate number of clicks.

When I was flying Jet Provosts from Cranwell in the early 1970's 8 of us colluded to return to base simultaneously - all with simulated radio failure - so the poor s** in the tower was controlling 8 aircraft, none of which could speak to him, and with call signs "speechless 1" to "speechless 8". Three of us had practise engine failures and couldn't maintain height, one had a stuck open throttle and couldn't slow down, one had flaps stuck down and couldn't accelerate, and I had a swarm of bees in the cockpit and was periodically flying erratically. You could hear the controllers voice becoming more and more shrill as the stress levels were ramped up without mercy. What fun! :) :) :)

:lol: I'm glad I won't be dealing with any of you RAF loonies!

RogM wrote:
and I had a swarm of bees in the cockpit
Slapped wrist possibly when you got down? :lol: :lol: The incidents :wink: that happened to the other aircraft are believable, but how did you manage to get a swarm of bees in a closed cockpit...unless you mistook your Provost for a SE5 from WW1 and took up the wrong aeroplane :lol: - Rob

Back