• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Odds and ends

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Suffering withdrawal symptoms, havent made a TB for around four days, house maintenance and electrical problems again!

Yesterday I gathered up all the waste prepared pieces I could lay my hands on and got this far;

Almost broke my heart, I used this piece of waste Sweet Chesnut I have had in my garage for 42 years from an old shoe storage box I made all those years ago. (all hand work in those days)

So boxes should be finished today.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should change your username to sneezy

Seriously though, your tissue boxes are always lovely but what on earth do you do with them all ?

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
He gives them as gifts, I have a beautiful one in my house - its one of the nicest gifts I've ever received knowing someone poured hours of labour and effort into making it.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Chems":2ue17o6v said:
He gives them as gifts, I have a beautiful one in my house - its one of the nicest gifts I've ever received knowing someone poured hours of labour and effort into making it.
+1 I am the proud owner of one too, my wife has it on her dressing table. Lovely piece!

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Woodworking during the two warmer seasons of the year has made my retirement a very busy, active and happy one and it is giving pleasure to others as well it appears.

Some good news and bad today.

First the good, I have reverted back to elliptical apertures (is that right) using a template and jig saw, Its hard graft changing the blade on the bandsaw for just five minutes work to use a 1/4" blade.

Then smooth the cut out on my high end bobbin sander.!

A little hand planing for a change, (cleaning the tops up after gluing to make a complete lid)

The lids glued on and the photograph taken this morning in sunlight so I could post here.

In the meantime whilst parts were being glued I have managed to almost clear the remnants of timber that have been laying on my tablesaw for upto two years or more. The items marked with a cross are two pieces of timber brought to the UK by an Australian woodworker a couple years ago and stayed over a few days. (They were unseasoned at the time but will shortly be ready for working. Iron bark and red gum) the third piece is a piece of Beech again from over 40 years ago which was the remaining section of a finger board of a guitar I made.

Timber cut to overall size and prepared.

Then the bad part of the day. Whilst putting a dado on the lower edge of each piece for the slider the router fence slipped (on sawdust) and I have finished up with the job of removing the bottom end of each piece, redoing and then making up for lost timber and will have to put in a stripe. (perhaps not a disaster)

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
None taken, I think I asked the exact same question when I was first here at UKW. I just thought DW suffered more colds than most!

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score

Got the three boxes completed above and ready for a finish to be applied.

In the meantime (three days) I have been putting right those boards where the mishap occurred whilst doing those
dadoes with the router (3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The reason for the time taken to put right was timber had to be located then prepared to match sizes of boards and then glued to pattern and create a reasonable appearance. The light coloured timber which I think is lime came from a neighbour 5 years ago who had given up wood carving and was originally part of a large eagle carving.

Anyway there are now five more odds coming to fruition

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Got another six boxes underway using up those offcuts.

and got these six carcasses glued up.

However I have bent my table saw blade, it fouled an offcut laying on the table under the blade.

I shall remove the blade this morning, it tings at one spot when it reaches the mitre jig, and purchase a new blade, 254 x30 x 60T.

Plus get a new varnish brush!

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Replaced the 60T blade with an unbranded blade at a very low price of £20 (labelled professional) which was offered to me from the forum. However it does not compare with the Trend blade it replaced. It makes a clean cut on hard oak, (like glass) but on softer hardwoods the ends look a little like blotting paper. So it does pay to go for a high end blade.

Got the lids on these six boxes and this might finish the box season for me this year, bearing in mind shelving to do and a sideboard in mind. However do have to complete by end of September this year, have a cataract op booked for October.

18w.jpg

Attachments

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread ought to be renamed , DW's disaster movie.

Finishing off those last six boxes yesterday, fitting sliders involves cutting out a slot for the slider to enter track and disaster struck not once but three times, damn Iroko has a rogue grain. Chopping off the inside of track in my usual fashion and the timber broke away as per pictures.

So I set to work by cutting of the lower edge of two boxes and then making a contrast strip together with a new track;

Fitted to base of box using titebond and plus spots of superglue which hold the pieces in place whilst titebond sets.

.However all does not go well for the second box, I overcut on the mitre and do not have enough spare to do a short end of box so rebuilt the piece as per picture.

The mitres are formed as per photograph below.

My reward for these boxes is getting a card from some new neighbours of ours who was given a TB last week.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
These four boxes made from iroko and shown above, and the ones that have given me a lot of aggro have now been completed. The grains is so wayward, they seem impossible to control with planing or sanding so I have resorted to using plain varnish, two coats so far and I am aiming around 6 coats + .

Hopefully the sheen will disguise condition, or have I got to paint them? :twisted:

http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliography ... rtune.html

Attachments

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have completed the iroko tissue boxes and repairs can be seen on this picture.

28w.jpg

A close up internal shot showing the shine after three coats of varnish.

29w.jpg

Attachments