Odds and ends

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Suffering withdrawal symptoms, havent made a TB for around four days, house maintenance and electrical problems again!

Yesterday I gathered up all the waste prepared pieces I could lay my hands on and got this far;

1w-34.jpg

Almost broke my heart, I used this piece of waste Sweet Chesnut I have had in my garage for 42 years from an old shoe storage box I made all those years ago. (all hand work in those days)

2w-33.jpg

So boxes should be finished today.

3w-34.jpg

I think you should change your username to sneezy

Seriously though, your tissue boxes are always lovely but what on earth do you do with them all ?

He gives them as gifts, I have a beautiful one in my house - its one of the nicest gifts I've ever received knowing someone poured hours of labour and effort into making it.

Chems":2ue17o6v said:
He gives them as gifts, I have a beautiful one in my house - its one of the nicest gifts I've ever received knowing someone poured hours of labour and effort into making it.

+1 I am the proud owner of one too, my wife has it on her dressing table. Lovely piece!

Woodworking during the two warmer seasons of the year has made my retirement a very busy, active and happy one and it is giving pleasure to others as well it appears.

Some good news and bad today.

First the good, I have reverted back to elliptical apertures (is that right) using a template and jig saw, Its hard graft changing the blade on the bandsaw for just five minutes work to use a 1/4" blade.

4w-37.jpg

Then smooth the cut out on my high end bobbin sander.!

5w-34.jpg

A little hand planing for a change, (cleaning the tops up after gluing to make a complete lid)

6w-32.jpg

The lids glued on and the photograph taken this morning in sunlight so I could post here.

7w-33.jpg

In the meantime whilst parts were being glued I have managed to almost clear the remnants of timber that have been laying on my tablesaw for upto two years or more. The items marked with a cross are two pieces of timber brought to the UK by an Australian woodworker a couple years ago and stayed over a few days. (They were unseasoned at the time but will shortly be ready for working. Iron bark and red gum) the third piece is a piece of Beech again from over 40 years ago which was the remaining section of a finger board of a guitar I made.

8w-32.jpg

Timber cut to overall size and prepared.

9w-29.jpg

Then the bad part of the day. Whilst putting a dado on the lower edge of each piece for the slider the router fence slipped (on sawdust) and I have finished up with the job of removing the bottom end of each piece, redoing and then making up for lost timber and will have to put in a stripe. (perhaps not a disaster)

10w-29.jpg

None taken, I think I asked the exact same question when I was first here at UKW. I just thought DW suffered more colds than most!

11w-24.jpg

Got the three boxes completed above and ready for a finish to be applied.

In the meantime (three days) I have been putting right those boards where the mishap occurred whilst doing those
dadoes with the router (3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

13w-20.jpg

12w-23.jpg

The reason for the time taken to put right was timber had to be located then prepared to match sizes of boards and then glued to pattern and create a reasonable appearance. The light coloured timber which I think is lime came from a neighbour 5 years ago who had given up wood carving and was originally part of a large eagle carving.

Anyway there are now five more odds coming to fruition

Got another six boxes underway using up those offcuts.

15w-22.jpg

and got these six carcasses glued up.

17w-18.jpg

However I have bent my table saw blade, it fouled an offcut laying on the table under the blade.

16w-20.jpg

I shall remove the blade this morning, it tings at one spot when it reaches the mitre jig, and purchase a new blade, 254 x30 x 60T.

Plus get a new varnish brush!

14w-19.jpg

Replaced the 60T blade with an unbranded blade at a very low price of £20 (labelled professional) which was offered to me from the forum. However it does not compare with the Trend blade it replaced. It makes a clean cut on hard oak, (like glass) but on softer hardwoods the ends look a little like blotting paper. So it does pay to go for a high end blade.

Got the lids on these six boxes and this might finish the box season for me this year, bearing in mind shelving to do and a sideboard in mind. However do have to complete by end of September this year, have a cataract op booked for October.

18w.jpg

Attachments

• 18w.jpg
    18w.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 18w.jpg
    18w.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,581
This thread ought to be renamed , DW's disaster movie.

Finishing off those last six boxes yesterday, fitting sliders involves cutting out a slot for the slider to enter track and disaster struck not once but three times, damn Iroko has a rogue grain. Chopping off the inside of track in my usual fashion and the timber broke away as per pictures.

24w-11.jpg

19w-18.jpg

So I set to work by cutting of the lower edge of two boxes and then making a contrast strip together with a new track;

20w-16.jpg

Fitted to base of box using titebond and plus spots of superglue which hold the pieces in place whilst titebond sets.

21w-15.jpg

.However all does not go well for the second box, I overcut on the mitre and do not have enough spare to do a short end of box so rebuilt the piece as per picture.

22w-12.jpg

The mitres are formed as per photograph below.

23w-11.jpg

My reward for these boxes is getting a card from some new neighbours of ours who was given a TB last week.

25w-10.jpg

These four boxes made from iroko and shown above, and the ones that have given me a lot of aggro have now been completed. The grains is so wayward, they seem impossible to control with planing or sanding so I have resorted to using plain varnish, two coats so far and I am aiming around 6 coats + .

Hopefully the sheen will disguise condition, or have I got to paint them? :twisted:

http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliography ... rtune.html

Attachments

• 26w.jpg
    26w.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,275
I have completed the iroko tissue boxes and repairs can be seen on this picture.

28w.jpg

A close up internal shot showing the shine after three coats of varnish.

29w.jpg

Attachments

• 28w.jpg
    28w.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 29w.jpg
    29w.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,160
Back