Octagonal handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I gather chisels and gouges with octagonal handles are quite old, as in 19th century old, and that they're often user made. So is it possible to date them, with the help of the markings and the shape of the metal part?

For example, does a lack of "Sheffield" mean it's older than chisels with "Sheffield" on them?

Here are some of my gouges with octagonal handles:

2 x I & H Sorby, both have only "I & H Sorby" and "Cast Steel" on them, nothing on the back.
2 ih sorby cast steel .jpg

2 ih sorby cast steel.jpg

Marsden Brothers and Ward. The Marsden Brothers has "Marsden Brothers" and "Sheffield" on the front and "cast steel" on the back. The Ward has only "Ward", and after digging around I think this is the oldest of these here.
Marsden Brothers, Ward 2.jpg

Marsden Brothers, Ward 1.jpg

Marsden Brothers, Ward.jpg

Marsden Brothers, Ward back.jpg

The Marsden Brothers has a bent boxwood handle.
Marsden Brothers, Ward, bent.jpg

Attachments

• 2 ih sorby cast steel .jpg
    2 ih sorby cast steel .jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 2 ih sorby cast steel.jpg
    2 ih sorby cast steel.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Marsden Brothers, Ward 2.jpg
    Marsden Brothers, Ward 2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Marsden Brothers, Ward 1.jpg
    Marsden Brothers, Ward 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Marsden Brothers, Ward.jpg
    Marsden Brothers, Ward.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Marsden Brothers, Ward back.jpg
    Marsden Brothers, Ward back.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Marsden Brothers, Ward, bent.jpg
    Marsden Brothers, Ward, bent.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,371
Handles alone are not a very reliable way of dating - I have quite a few carving tools with octagonal handles that I made myself for example, but I'm sure someone with some actual knowledge on chisels will come along soon,

Cheerio,

Carl

It's really hard to date the basic hand tools, as the designs stayed the same for so long. Even when a new pattern had been introduced, the old pattern could continue to be made and sold to woodworkers who (presumably because of the apprentice system) wanted to buy tools like those used by their masters.

However, there are clues from rare survivors with associated provenance, such as the well known Seaton Chest, and so it's possible to say that as a broad generalisation, chisels or gouges with a long taper below the bolster are older - have a look at Richard Arnold's specimen here
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/chisel-restoration-t67516.html
to see what I mean.

AndyT":3fyyu5iq said:
It's really hard to date the basic hand tools, as the designs stayed the same for so long. Even when a new pattern had been introduced, the old pattern could continue to be made and sold to woodworkers who (presumably because of the apprentice system) wanted to buy tools like those used by their masters.

For a long time (and even longer for carving chisels) users made and fitted their own handles, and the octagonal ones are easy to make, and good to use. That made for a MASSIVE amount of historical inertia.

BugBear

I reckon Bugbear is correct. I've seen an old book advising apprentices to make similar handles as they don't require any turning.

One of the first chisel handles I made was octagonal from Ash, I have pounded on it with a big mallet and its still looking good.

Pete

Racers":35k1in2r said:
One of the first chisel handles I made was octagonal from Ash, I have pounded on it with a big mallet and its still looking good.
Yes, but I think we can put that down to the Ash, not the octagon. :mrgreen:

I'll get me coat.....

Cheers, Vann.

Yep octagonal handles are easiest to make. I've done a few myself. Not particularly perfect but very simple and usable.
The secret is to fit the tang first and then shape the handle to align with the tool. You just need a plane and a chisel. Easiest way to hold the handle for planing is in a sash cramp held in a bench vice with a couple of blocks as spacers.

As well as being easier to fashion by hand, octagonal handled chisels tend not to roll off the bench, as round ones do all too often.

Latest posts

Back