Oak Panelling - Design phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 panels under window with wider ones to the right, which I think I am happy with, and showing rails running through with stiles between and inner rails staccato.

Thoughts?

Study14-tallerpanelledconttoprail.jpg

Study15-tallerpanelledconttoprail.jpg

Mike Garnham":b2n9gzjr said:
The other thing I would say is to be very careful with your secret door plan. Draw it out in full size in plan, first, and "open" it in the drawing. If you make something with the depth of bookshelves, trying to pivot it from one point is quite difficult without it fouling, and allowing for the fouling will leave really big gaps.
I agree Mike, I still didn't explain it very well in my post. I think I am goin to have to go with two doors, one being the panelled door which will open into the study, the second being the bookcase door which will open into the lounge.

Still not worked this out as yet, trying to get the look of the panelling right first.

I need some ideas for look/construction of the 'feature' atop the panelling should I decide to put something on there. Can't decide between a shelf or some kind of cove. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Right, I have man flu and feel terrible, I'm off to bed, good night all.

Hi trimtheking, I really liked your plans for the panelling you had planned.
Did you do it and if so how did it go ?
I am interested in doing something similar, but just on one wall, and maybe incorporate some shelves too.
I am not far from you, Altrincham, who supplied the timber for use ?

ninbelindur":35votmah said:
Hi trimtheking, I really liked your plans for the panelling you had planned.
Did you do it and if so how did it go ?
I am interested in doing something similar, but just on one wall, and maybe incorporate some shelves too.
I am not far from you, Altrincham, who supplied the timber for use ?

Hi ninbelindur

I have had other things on the go since this, but I will hopefully be finished with my current project in the next 3 weeks so the panelling will then be brought back to life.

I haven't bought the timber yet but will probably end up getting it either from Irmass in Trafford Park or a couple of other places that I can't remember the name of, but have them in my book so will dig them out.

Will let you know how it goes when I fire the project back up again. Once I work out the details you are welcome to bob over and check it out if you want.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark
Thank you for your reply, I will give Irmass a call and see what they have got for me.
Your project looks like it will be very nice when it is finished, I would really appreciate it if you would show me, thank you for your kind offer.
Thanks
Enrico

Hi Mark
How is your installation going ?
Couple of questions for you as I am still planning mine only in my head as yet.
What is the program you have used called, is it sketchup ? where did you get it from ?
Also, I see you refer to Brads installation method, I can`t see this anywhere, could you point me towards it please, sorry but it will help me plan my wall.
Thanks
Enrico

Brad mentioned it somewhere, it was quite clever. He discovered it when doing some work on a house as a technique that someone long ago had used.

Basically you panel the wall, now days with veneered MDF, then make up your rails and styles up and fit these at 2 feet centres so to cover the joins between boards and then use what ever spacing you like for the height as the 8 foot board should reach to ceiling level. It allows you to just fix the rails straight onto the board to give the effect of panelling with out the massive amount of work involved.

Ok, sounds pretty good, but I`m thinking of putting some shelves on somewhere, and have expanded my thoughts to cupboards at the bottom.
What is the best way to build shelving/bookcase ?

Latest posts

Back